RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brentpresley

MS Gen8 ODD Speed - SATA 2.0 Confirmed

brentpresley

Got Windows 2012 R2 Preview installed an ran ATTO to evaluate the SATA speed.

Looks like SATA 2.0 (300MBs).

Untitled2.png

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Got Windows 2012 R2 Preview installed an ran ATTO to evaluate the SATA speed.

Looks like SATA 2.0 (300MBs).

Thanks BrentPresley!  Very good news!  What SSD were you using?

brentpresley

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.  In a desktop system with SATA 3.0 I can get about a 550MB/s peak off the drive.

Joe_Miner

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.  In a desktop system with SATA 3.0 I can get about a 550MB/s peak off the drive.

Yes, the Samsung 840 Pro is a very good drive.  This is what I get with a single one on a SATA III port

clip_image009.jpg

And two Striped together in a SW RAID 0 gave me:

clip_image011.jpg

cskenney

Only the first 2 slots in the drive cage are SATAIII (I believe) so it's no surprise the ODD slot connection would test out as SATAII.

Joe_Miner

Only the first 2 slots in the drive cage are SATAIII (I believe) so it's no surprise the ODD slot connection would test out as SATAII.

Excellent point! 

My concern (that I should have explained earlier) had been the possibility that the ODD SATA II port in the Gen8 was "down graded" like what we had seen with the ODD SATA II port in the previous generations of MicroServer's that required a change in the BIOS in order to get the full SATA II Speeds -- as proved necessary in Performance Improvement on ODD SATA Port Contributed by BIOS-MOD  -- 300MB thru-put for an OS drive on the SATA II up in the ODD space is fantastic in my book -- life is good!

ikon

If I understand it correctly, the limit of 2 SATA III ports is a result of the chipset used on the B120i controller only supporting two 6Gbps ports.

Joe_Miner

If I understand it correctly, the limit of 2 SATA III ports is a result of the chipset used on the B120i controller only supporting two 6Gbps ports.

Check the Quick Specs and you'll see that the Gen8 MicroServer uses the Intel ChipSet C204.  The C204 supports 6 SATA ports but only a Max of two of those ports can be SATA III's (the rest are SATA II's).  It is the C204 that is the driving factor.

See:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52804/Intel-BD82C204-PCH

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/server-chipsets/server-chipset-c202.html?wapkw=intel+c204+chipset

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=north_america&type=html&docid=14565

ikon

Thanks JM. That matches up with I recall. Nice to have it detailed so clearly.

Joe_Miner

Thanks JM. That matches up with I recall. Nice to have it detailed so clearly.

No problem, you've done the same for me MANY times!  Have a good one (why aren't you in the chat room for the preshow :) )