RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Has Anyone Loaded & Run WHS-2011 on a Gen8

pcbrew

Feedback - your link to the raid driver is out of date - no download button on it, but I did manage to track it down.

Your link to the Support Pack is the same as your link to the GPU, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to track anything down called a "Support Pack". Do you think you might refresh that link, please.

As for the rest of this post (this thread) I am hanging on every word, as I can't get my brand new, just out of the box, Gen 8 Microserver to either update Intelligent Provisioning to 1.50 (the installation hangs indefinitely with a yellow exclamation mark triangle & no explanation), or find all the prerequisite drivers to load WHS2011. Server 2012 is much too expensive here (Oz) for a pensioner like me, so i'd really like to get this beast running with WHS'11.

Thanking you in anticipation.

I have been poring over these posts to get ready for setting up my Gen8.  Now that I have everything but the RAM, taking more time to read over again and actually download drivers and make sure I have everything in place before starting.

Sondar - You mentioned you tracked down the B120i drivers but did not share so, for others :  http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/sp4ts.oid=5293151&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4024%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

You also noted t1tan7's link for the Support Pack is dup of the Matrox drivers.  I believe this is the Support Update Manager since he mentions executing hpsum.exe.  Link: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5387585&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_a9412ad4acda4530b90f20ab2e%257CswEnvOID%253D4024%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

BTW, the Top-Level drivers & support link for all OSes is: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?cc=us&cc=us&lang=en&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=5387585&ac.admitted=1380991669000.876444892.199480143

And the links for 2008 x64 drivers is: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=6383280&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4024%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

This has links for the B120i, USB, Matrox, Network, and System Update Manager, plus several others.

Edited by pcbrew
  • Like 1

pcbrew

OK, I have everything ready to setup (with WHS 2011) but have what may be a dumb question: 

Do I need to first setup the arrays with the built-in ACU (Array Config Utility) or just boot with the WHS 2011 DVD and load the drivers for the RAID card and go?

schoondoggy

OK, I have everything ready to setup (with WHS 2011) but have what may be a dumb question: 

Do I need to first setup the arrays with the built-in ACU (Array Config Utility) or just boot with the WHS 2011 DVD and load the drivers for the RAID card and go?

If you are installing WHS on a drive that is running on the B120i you need to configure the arrays first.

pcbrew

Thanks.  I came to the same conclusion.

BTW, I am getting a message on boot of overheated condition in Bay 5 for ODD.

Right now the case is open and everything is pretty cool.

pcbrew

For those who have installed WHS 2011, has it been done on a SSD smaller than 160 GB?

I was following these instructions: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4259-installing-whs2011-on-a-small-ssd-in-a-microserver/ to install on my 128GB SSD.  

The cfg.ini file is on the same USB stick as the drivers (it's at the root).

After installing the B120i drivers the WIndows installation can see my drives but when I select the SSD for install & continue, I get an error that my system does not meet the minimum requirements - 160GB disk so it's seems as if it's not reading the cfg.ini file.

Any advice is appreciated.

pcbrew

I made a bootable USB and put the cfg.ini file at the root but get errors.  The log indicates the boot device cannot be found.  With the answer file there is no prompt to install the B120i drivers, so makes sense.

In sources\SKU there's a file called SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def that looks like it has the minimum requirements.

I tried editing that to reduce HDD requirement and install without the cfg.ini file, but still got the error that the system did not meet minimum requirements for HDD so looks like this file does not control the requirements.

[information]
EditionID=34

[Requirements]
RAM=2048
HDD=160  --> 120
Proc=1300
Core=1

Edited by pcbrew

schoondoggy

How did you set up your drives in the ACU?

Edited by schoondoggy

pcbrew

How did you set up your drives in the ACU?

Setup as 3 single drive RAID 0

- 128GB SSD - Solid State SATA Array A

- 2TB - SATA Array B

- 2TB - SATA Array C

pcbrew

Found a solution with a bit of searching - source here:  http://forums.mydigitallife.info/archive/index.php/t-27645.html

Solution:

1. As soon as you are greeted with the screen asking if you want a new install or to repair a previous one press Shift + F10 to bring up a cmd window.
  2. Type "notepad.exe" without quotes then click file open and browse to sources/SKU/SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def (you may have to select all files at the bottom so you can see the .def file).
  3. From here you can change requirements for amount of RAM, number of CPU cores, HDD space, and processor speed to suit your needs. Save and close Notepad.
  4. Type "wpshell.exe" without quotes and hit enter and setup will restart with the new parameters. 

At this point, insert the USB key with the drivers

Point to the B120i driver directory when prompted as the install cannot find any drives

Once the drives show up, acknowledge the warning, select the install drive and go - and no more error about HDD not big enough. 

Install is proceeding as I write this but fan is very loud as I still get Error 1717 on initial boot that an overheating condition is detected in the ODD bay.

There is a firmware update for the B120i that I will install when I get WHS 2011 installed, hopefully that will resolve.  

Otherwise, could it be my drive reporting bad data (or not able to report)?  (Toshiba Q Series HDTS212XZSTA)

Edited by pcbrew
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

most SSD dont have a temp sensor so they show as over temp.