RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Has Anyone Loaded & Run WHS-2011 on a Gen8

Joe_Miner

Just wondering if anyone has loaded & run WHS-2011 on a Gen8 yet and if so how you configured the machine.

To install WHS2011 on the Gen8 without RAID you can enable AHCI mode on the GEN8:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5980-has-anyone-loaded-run-whs-2011-on-a-gen8/page-4#entry79759

Edited by HSS-Dave
Added Link to Step by Step Procedure

schoondoggy

I think others have as well, but I have it running. I dont think I will have time to do much with it.

I set up two RAID1 on the B120i and loaded the OS on one.

The HP Intelegent Provisioning did not like WHS 2011, had to load manually.

I had to load the driver for the array to get it to recognized. After the install I loaded drivers for the USB3 and iLO4.

I also got the right video driver from Matrox;

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=522

It would not install its self, so I extracted the files and did a driver update from device manager. After reboot Matrox G200eH up and running!

schoondoggy

My MS G8 has 16GB of memory, but of course WHS2011 only uses 8GB. I had watched a NewEgg review on Dataram RamDisk and thought I would give it a try. The free version will let you set up a 4GB RamDisk;

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

Here is what the performance of a RamDisk looks like;

z6ra.png

Not sure what I could use a 4-8GB disk for, but it is really fast!

ikon

Only 4713MB/s Read? I'm disappointed...... <j/k> :D

Joe_Miner

Thanks Schoondoggy!

t1tan7

I think others have as well, but I have it running. I dont think I will have time to do much with it.

I set up two RAID1 on the B120i and loaded the OS on one.

The HP Intelegent Provisioning did not like WHS 2011, had to load manually.

I had to load the driver for the array to get it to recognized. After the install I loaded drivers for the USB3 and iLO4.

I also got the right video driver from Matrox;

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=522

It would not install its self, so I extracted the files and did a driver update from device manager. After reboot Matrox G200eH up and running!

Hi Schoondoggy & any1 else,

Can you tell me where you managed to locate the drivers for USB3 and iLO4 for WHS 2011?

RAID and network drivers installed with no issues. Managed to get the drivers under Windows Server x64 2008 however when U try the USB drivers...no luck and cannot locate iLO anywhere... :(

t1tan7

Hi overcoat, 

No - as I am installing WHS2011 which does now work with Int. Provisoning.

Thanks for the link.

I'll check out the thread you posted and let you know how it goes.

t1tan7

Okay - can confirm all up and running now.

Big thanks to overcoat for the URL.

As this link is referred to quite a bit thought I would do a quick step by step for peeps looking for something a little more comprehensive...

I have not gone for a Server 2012 Essentials setup like most peeps have done. Simple reason for me really was that I hated the whole formal AD structure implementation that 2012 wants you to adopt. I needed a simple home setup and 2012 was just a pain in the a$$ for me. Personal preference really...

Before I start I do recommend that if you are going to go for a RAID 1+0 setup like I have that you install a 5th drive using the ODD bay/sata connection. Plenty of links around the one I found most helpfull was here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/

While I am at it I am going to give a shout out to cskenney for the following link: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

It helped me loads. Thank you kind sir!

-------

I setup the SSD (5th drive) as a RAID 0 primary bootable in the Array config menu & the 4 x 3TB drive as RAID 1+0

Reason being is that if the system drive failed I would not need to rebuild the array. I could simply replace the boot drive & re-install.

Onto installing WHS2011:

1. Before installing; download the following drivers:

Make sure you extract all of these to separate folders. esp RAID and network.

Copy all of these to a USB/DVD...whatever works for you.

Boot from the WHS2011 DVD to start installation.

You will be asked for RAID drivers, point them to the appropriate folder on your USB/DVD drive/disk.

Once installed you will immediately be asked to install network drivers. This will redirect you to device manager, point to network driver folder, next, next.

• Gen8 has 2 network cards, so install 2wice.

Finish set up and install GPU, USB and Support Pack.

To install the Support pack - extract the files to a location of your choosing; then locate and execute hpsum.exe. 

This should install around 80 updates. :blink:  I have done this, took about 40 mins and can confirm it worked like a charm.

Job done = WHS 2011 should be running like a dream :D

Edited by t1tan7
  • Like 2

Joe_Miner

Okay - can confirm all up and running now.

Big thanks to overcoat for the URL.

As this link is referred to quite a bit thought I would do a quick step by step for peeps looking for something a little more comprehensive...

I have not gone for a Server 2012 Essentials setup like most peeps have done. Simple reason for me really was that I hated the whole formal AD structure implementation that 2012 wants you to adopt. I needed a simple home setup and 2012 was just a pain in the a$$ for me. Personal preference really...

Before I start I do recommend that if you are going to go for a RAID 1+0 setup like I have that you install a 5th drive using the ODD bay/sata connection. Plenty of links around the one I found most helpfull was here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/

While I am at it I am going to give a shout out to cskenney for the following link: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

It helped me loads. Thank you kind sir!

-------

I setup the SSD (5th drive) as a RAID 0 primary bootable in the Array config menu & the 4 x 3TB drive as RAID 1+0

Reason being is that if the system drive failed I would not need to rebuild the array. I could simply replace the boot drive & re-install.

Onto installing WHS2011:

1. Before installing; download the following drivers:

Make sure you extract all of these to separate folders. esp RAID and network.

Copy all of these to a USB/DVD...whatever works for you.

Boot from the WHS2011 DVD to start installation.

You will be asked for RAID drivers, point them to the appropriate folder on your USB/DVD drive/disk.

Once installed you will immediately be asked to install network drivers. This will redirect you to device manager, point to network driver folder, next, next.

• Gen8 has 2 network cards, so install 2wice.

Finish set up and install GPU, USB and Support Pack.

To install the Support pack - extract the files to a location of your choosing; then locate and execute hpsum.exe. 

This should install around 80 updates. :blink:  I have done this, took about 40 mins and can confirm it worked like a charm.

Job done = WHS 2011 should be running like a dream :D

Great write-up T1Tan7!!  Welcome to the Forums.  When you get a chance feel free to introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/page-1

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the future!