RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

I need 3TB of network storage, cheapest way?

ikon

You need to be a little more specific about what USB stuff for Untangle.

timekills

Already tried that off my Netgear a while back, I get a grand total of 3Mb/s

I am also focusing on low power, so I'd rather just get a NAS or something. This is literally just for storing Acronis images in a second place 

I'll try the router again now it has DDWRT on there, but does Untangle support USB stuff? And also its only USB 2.0, so its already going to be slower than GBe 

Well, you said the only requirements were non-redundant or RAID1, and cheapest way. It helps to be more specific about the requirements. From what you've listed so far (RAID1 or no RAID, low power, just to store Acronis images, cheap) A USB2 speed drive would fit the bill nicely. Anything else, especially a complete NAS system, would be considerably more power hungry. And since you don't have the spare parts to build one, a lot more expensive to boot.

Drashna Jaelre

Either non redundant or RAID1 at the most

Thats all the requirements 

Get a router with a USB port, and get a 3TB external USB HDD (Such as a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB), and plug that into the port. Done. Network storage.

timekills

3TB USB drive plugged into home router/WAP with USB port.

Get a router with a USB port, and get a 3TB external USB HDD (Such as a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB), and plug that into the port. Done. Network storage.

We already tried to convince him of that one.

Pancakes

We already tried to convince him of that one.

Yeah, but that means USB 2.0 speeds too, I'll have to wait until I ave a drive I'm not using and give it a try

Drashna Jaelre

You mentioned low powered a few times.... 

And USB3 and good speed.

As far as I've seen and experienced, you're not going to get both. Lower power generally means lower speeds....

Also, what do you want to do with this drive that requires more than ~30MB/s speed?

FiLiNuX

"Lower power generally means lower speeds"

I understand what you are saying in theory and when you reach a cross-point on power -/+ performance scale it probably is true but there are several low(er) power options with good speed in regards to what OP is looking for.  

"Lower power generally means lower speeds"

Actually this is NOT always true now that I think of it.  I can lay on the couch and DESTROY a massive amount of cookies @ blinding speeds using VERY little power.  :) 

ikon

Actually this is NOT always true now that I think of it.  I can lay on the couch and DESTROY a massive amount of cookies @ blinding speeds using VERY little power.   :) 

Is that your way of slyly hinting that your avatar photo is a Selfie? :D

Drashna Jaelre

Maybe, but you did invest a good amount of time and energy to *get* those cookies, and get them to the couch, did you not? :)

And a lot of the lower power drives tend to not perform quite as well. Like those WD Greens (at least in my experience).