RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading to 2011?

richlars

I am currently using a HP EX495 with the original V1 HP version of MSS.  Everything is running fine but I recently recieved a warning that I was running low on storage space.  I went inti the console to check it out and found that 81% of my 3.2 TB was used by backups.  I had thought I had them all turned off, apparently not. Whether a glitch or my fault I don't know.  At any rate I tried a backup cleanup which hung at about 10% (several attempts, same results).  I tried the recovery disk several time following the HP directions to the letter, always failed on step 2.

I am down to thinking that I will reformat everything and start from scratch.  My files are all backed up on another drive.  While I am doing this I was thinking of upgrading to 2011.  I use the server primarily for file sharing, remote access and streaming but don't take advantage of the backup features which are taken care of by an off site service. Also, although I haven't made too much of an attempt, I have not yet located my original disc so I may need to upgrade anyway.

Admittedly I am a server and networking idiot so whatever I do needs to be on the simplistic side.  I do well with good instructions.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Can you add another drive to the server and add it to the storage pool? It may be running out of disk space during backup cleanup.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.  I never thought it would take extra capacity to do a cleanup.  But yes I do have two open bays.  Right now I only have 10 GB of free space, 575 GB of files and 2.6 TB of backups.

Oh, Also since I have all of the files backed up, could I just delete files from the server to come up with the extra space?  How much do you suppose I would need?

I wouldn't delete the files. If possible, I would add another drive to the pool and then run the cleanup. Another option would be to use the drive to make a 2nd local copy of the files, then delete them from the server to make space for the cleanup. I pretty always refrain from deleting backups of files if at all possible. Just my 2 cents...

My philosophy with machine backups is that old ones are relatively expendable as long as you still have the machine up and running. The great majority of the files I really care about are on the server and duplicated (and backed-up offsite by Crashplan) etc. Anyway, after you add the extra drive I'd check the backup settings and make them less keep-all-of-them than they are now. When I upgraded from V1 on one server to 2011 on another server I made sure I had a separate copy of all the files (not PC backup files, all the other files) on a separate external drive as an ultimate failsafe. Suspenders and belt.

I agree about the 'interim' backups, with one exception: I always keep an initial backup after installing a new system and getting everything 'just right'. It's my emergency fallback backup that I use to restore the system if it gets totally hosed.

I want to thank you all for the help.  After deleting  a lot of duplicate files, I had enough space to do the cleanup.  I was a bit disappointed though that it only cleaned up a small portion.  I did some more poking around and found that I should have been deleting computers as I cycled through different ones.  I deleted all but the two I currently have on the network and regained over 2TB of space.  This has encourage me to learn a lot more about this server and its capabilities which I should have done long ago.  I am still thinking strongly about upgrading to 2011 and possibly memory and processor upgrades before it all dries up.  Memory has become very expensive but processors are cheap.  I like the case and looks of the EX495 and I usually steer away from putting money into antique equipment, but with the minor exception of a bleep her of there, usually my own fault, this server has served me very well.