RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 B120i mixing RAID and JBOD

pcbrew

Mine is currently configured as 5 separate RAID 0 drives on the B120i.

SATA 5 (the ODD connection) is my SSD boot OS drive then the 4 drives are polled with Stablebit DrivePool.

I have everything ready to setup (with WHS 2011) and not clear on how to proceed.

Do I need to first setup the arrays with the built-in ACU (Array Config Utility) or just boot with the WHS 2011 DVD and load the drivers for the RAID card and go?

microsvr.de

Do I need to first setup the arrays with the built-in ACU (Array Config Utility) or just boot with the WHS 2011 DVD and load the drivers for the RAID card and go?

Go through the ACU and build your desired RAID configuration before installing WHS. Even if this means single-drive RAID0. 

The other option would be dismissing the raid controller completely and turning on AHCI, but I haven't done this due to the noisy fan until that is fixed. Note: Haven't tested it, that's just on experience regarding other server hardware. It should be possible on gen8, too!

Anusha

I don't get the concept of single drive RAID-0. 

Do the drive needs formatting when you setup one like that? What "changes" does the RAID controller perform "on the disk" when it does this? 

Can you simply pull a drive from the server and plug it into another PC running Windows 10 for example and access the data normally? Or the data is not identifiable outside the server?

I also recently bought a MS gen8 unit and I do not want any RAID. I want JBOD, but I also want the data on the drives accessible outside the server (i.e. if I plug it into my desktop PC). So I went ahead with AHCI. I have only two data drives at the moment so I installed the SSD in a main drive bay for the time being. But eventually I will add two more drives and will have to move the SSD to the ODD slot requiring me to fiddle with the boot loader. If RAID approach is a viable solution, I would switch to that before I fill up the drives and make migration more difficult and dangerous.