RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server is assigned DHCP addresses even with static ip assigned.

Shoop

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Not sure if this is an issue with my server or router.

I have a Linksys E4200 v2 router setup as a DHCP.  It is allowed to assign a max of 20 users (more than enough).  I have my server (server essentials 2012 r2) set to a static ip address out of the DHCP assigned IP address range.  The problem is that the router has about 10 ip addresses assigned to the server alone (traced this down by the MAC Address).  When I turn on a computer in the house it cannot gain access to the internet because the server has sucked up all the ip addresses.  I have reset the router and rebooted the server and it continues be assigned like 9 ips in the DHCP range eventhough it is assigned a static ip outside of that rannge.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Edited by Shoop

It's taking addresses for VPN connections probably. Usually that's around ten by default if I remember correctly. Server should be set as the DHCP server ideally....

It's taking addresses for VPN connections probably. Usually that's around ten by default if I remember correctly. Server should be set as the DHCP server ideally....

Ah. Good thinking; maybe it is VPN. I agree the server should (must?) be set up as the DNS, but I don't think it really matters about DHCP (as long as the DHCP role is disabled on the server).

So, first thing to do is increase the number of IP addresses the router is handing out; get that out of the way so it's not causing any issues itself.