RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver G8 - what software

sevenducks

I have a hp microserver g8 and would like to set it up as a home server to use in my home office.  I would mostly like to use it as a home server to stream media, file server, back up home computers.  However, I would also like to be able to vpn remotely to access files.  What server software would you recommend?  I am looking for something that is (1) easy to install/maintain, (2) versatile, and (3) inexpensive.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you in advance for your help.

For me, the obvious low-cost option is WHS2011. VPN is not as easy with WHS2011 as it is with WSE2012, but WSE2012 is $400+. VPN can be enabled on WHS2011; there are instructions on the Internet, or LogMeIn or Himachi can be used. I'm sure others can offer different ideas.

Thank you for your quick reply.  I'd rather not pay $400 but would do it if windows server 2012 is the best option.  I am concerned that it is too hard to install / maintain for what I need.  I really want it to set it up and have it *work* without constant fiddling.  I should also add that I'd like to use it as a print server for my home printer.  I know that there are also Linux packages to consider and wonder if anyone has thoughts on those?

I certainly don't constantly 'fiddle' with my WHS2011. In fact, I rarely even log into it, except to eject my off site backup drives. Of course, I do access the file shares, and it does do my client computer backups. Other than that, I access the logs files from time to time, just to ensure it's all working properly.

I haven't come across a Linux File Server distro that I found easier to set up than WHS2011. I do use Untangle as my Unified Threat Manager (UTM: basically, it's my Internet router/gateway). It's pretty easy to set up and maintain. I rarely log into it either. The difference I think is that Untangle is a special purpose Linux distro, rather than a general purpose Server, so it has been packaged for easy installation.

The biggest issue of the items you mention, for me, is the client computer backups. IMHO, WHS has the best backup & restore system available to the consumer. I haven't seen any other backup system, Linux or otherwise, that is the equal of WHS.