RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

ikon

Well, it would certainly be possible to bend, punch, and drill sheet aluminum (Lian-Li does it every day), but aluminum just costs quite a bit more than steel anyway.

Joe_Miner

I believe steel is much easier to work with than aluminum in this case (both in bending/forming, and drilling holes), and thus, the cost can be kept lower by using steel.  I can't really see a reason for using aluminum for a part like this.

I really liked working with the 18ga Steel SGDM/SDM and don't see the benefit of AL that could outweigh the extra cost of AL - for countersinking the drive mount holes the 18ga steel worked real well.

NateN34

Well, the only reason I mentioned aluminum, is because of rust. Would have to paint it if it was steel in the final production. And yes, it is possible to form aluminum. However, only really works with a brake press, and not a hammer.

But yeah, I see your point and agree. Aluminum is more money, especially when it is still in the design stage.

Edited by NateN34

schoondoggy

I am getting them plated so rust should not be an issue.

LoneWolf

Well, the only reason I mentioned aluminum, is because of rust. Would have to paint it if it was steel in the final production. And yes, it is possible to form aluminum. However, only really works with a brake press, and not a hammer.

But yeah, I see your point and agree. Aluminum is more money, especially when it is still in the design stage.

A large number of rack servers carry a fair amount of steel in their chassis with no significant issue.  You're talking a controlled environment, and metals that are treated against corrosion.  You don't have to paint steel to prevent it, you can do many other things (e.g., galvanizing, surface treatments, etc.)

The same is true of large rackmount UPSes.

Joe_Miner

It would be easy enough to paint your favorite team colors (while painting your door :) ) -- maybe we should have a paint design contest for the next meet-up?

ikon

There are certainly plenty of anti-corrosion coatings available for steel. Heck, if the bracket was going to rust, how about the MicroServer chassis itself, or the PSU case -- they're all made from steel.

Helzy

Opting in for dibs on one of the brackets when ready, nice work schoondoggy.

EDIT: OMG I didn't realize I was a one post wonder, looooong time lurker.

Edited by Helzy

alex_mz

Hi. Where i can bay bracket.

Thanks

Joe_Miner

I had the good fortune to test out Schoondoggy's Pre-Production version of his SDM and compare it's improvements to the Beta.  

gallery_1229_67_26960.jpg

I didn't think it could be improved but without a doubt He has certainly made it better!

The Pre-Production SGDM/SDM has several clear improvements over the Beta Test SGDM

Tabs have been lengthened
Tabs have been move down slightly to move the top of the SGDM/SDM to the Gen8 frame
Screw slots in Tabs have been lengthened to allow for adjustment of SGDM/SDM placement next to the PSU
Drive holes have been countersink 

You can see both versions side by side: Pre-Production SDM on the left and the Beta Test SGDM on the right
gallery_1229_67_27185.jpg

In this shot you can see how the tabs have been lengthened and the tab mounting holes slotted
gallery_1229_67_5882.jpg

In this view you can see how all of the drive holes have been countersunk on the back of the SDM (this is very nice to See)
gallery_1229_67_3526.jpg

Here's a picture with the SDM mounted -- it was very easy to switch out the Beta version with the New SDM -- no mods were necessary
gallery_1229_67_19885.jpg

Here's the SDM all wired up and ready to go..........
gallery_1229_67_92876.jpg

Finally a completed picture with the full SDM installation and the Beta Test version lying in front of the Gen8
gallery_1229_67_8778.jpg

I made a video of the installation that went very quickly:

Full instructions on how I installed the SGDM/SDM can be found at The Schoondoggy Gen8 Drive Mount for the HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer First Look

All of the SGDM/SDM video's are in the playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn2DhE-6J02RpMF4bJDh-m-y8GlDi1WOO
Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1