RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

LoneWolf

I need to add my thanks for getting the opportunity to beta test with SchoonDoggy as well.

gallery_4021_70_106138.jpg

In my case, I left my two WD Velociraptor 80GB drives with my Microserver N54L, and upgraded to a Crucial M500 240GB SSD.  It is operating off the B120i controller as a single RAID-0 drive.  Note underneath the bracket the HP SmartArray P222 controller; this is now performing all functions for the server SATA backplane, which is running four 2TB drives in a RAID-5 array.  Going this route for me has the benefit of forgoing the squirrel-cage fan; it's a well-built unit, but the Crucial drives don't run too warm, and the M500 has a temperature sensor which will throttle back performance if it crosses a threshold (something I have yet to experience, and doubt I ever will).  Note:  While not pictured, I now have an optical drive in the 9.5mm bay attached to the single SATA controller;  the bracket has allowed me to keep that space open for it.

At some point, I plan to add a second M500 240GB.  I may either go RAID-0 stripe, or just do a second RAID-0 drive for playing with some virtual machines.  This is a great project, one that I hope will attract the eyes of HP themselves.  Thanks SchoonDoggy for allowing me to be a very small part of it.

Edited by LoneWolf

Vance Fox

Any update on the bracket?

I've been stalking this thread since i got the gen8. I have my os ssd velcroed to the psu right now waiting for this bracket.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

schoondoggy

My sheet metal company closes for Christmas.

They re-open on Monday, hopefully I will know more then.

Thanks for hanging in there.

adsboel

Expresssion of interest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

Update:

I ordered pre-production units with all the fixes recommended by the Beta Test Team. I hope to have them next week. If they meet our expectations I will do a first production run.

Stay tuned!

Vance Fox

Consider me a buyer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ikon

1 down, 99 to go... oops, schoondoggy will want at least 1 -- 98 to go  :D

NateN34

Looks great, keep us updated. Definately will purchase one.

Will be getting my server this week and will need a mount. Will try to hold off on laser cutting my own, for one of these.

Also what material? Would be great to see some aluminum used, instead of steel.

Edited by NateN34

LoneWolf

Looks great, keep us updated. Definately will purchase one.

Will be getting my server this week and will need a mount. Will try to hold off on laser cutting my own, for one of these.

Also what material? Would be great to see some aluminum used, instead of steel.

I believe steel is much easier to work with than aluminum in this case (both in bending/forming, and drilling holes), and thus, the cost can be kept lower by using steel.  I can't really see a reason for using aluminum for a part like this.

adsboel

stamping out stuff is dirt cheap production and perfect for this job. Bend/cast in Alu is fairly cost intensive

Sent from my iPhone usingyu