RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

schoondoggy

I have 7mm and 9.5mm stackers if you want to buy them.

Here are the drawings if you want to make them:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao9ObX1BCpuXss85xzwdECnqBXrOaQ?e=FAfzZe

You need to download the file and open it in Visio to see the scale to determine the dimensions.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:18 AM, Stoops said:

Is there any chance this is still available? Long shot I know, I only just came across this forum after having my gen8 over 3 years and starting to toy a little bit.

I only have the SDM R3.5 version left.

• Thanks 1

Stoops
On 3/8/2020 at 4:58 AM, schoondoggy said:

I have 7mm and 9.5mm stackers if you want to buy them.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao9ObX1BCpuXss85xzwdECnqBXrOaQ?e=FAfzZe

You need to download the file and open it in Visio to see the scale to determine the dimensions.

I only have the SDM R3.5 version left.

I'll PM you, thanks :)

Gulftown
On 3/8/2020 at 7:58 AM, schoondoggy said:

Thank you for sharing!

By the way if anyone is interested there are some 3d models for Gen8 on the Thingverse. I couldn't find the drive bay models but there are ODD latch and dust filter cover.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1707023

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2773068

schoondoggy would you be so kind to tell me the odd screw sizing? Found some printouts but cannot do that again now.

schoondoggy
18 hours ago, Gulftown said:

Thank you for sharing!

By the way if anyone is interested there are some 3d models for Gen8 on the Thingverse. I couldn't find the drive bay models but there are ODD latch and dust filter cover.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1707023

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2773068

schoondoggy would you be so kind to tell me the odd screw sizing? Found some printouts but cannot do that again now.

If you are referring to the screws to attach the bracket to the back of a slim DVD drive they are M2.

DerFritz
Posted (edited)
On 1/18/2020 at 10:17 PM, schoondoggy said:

As I do not plan to build any more of the SDM Rev4 brackets, I have decided to share the schematic.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao9ObX1BCpuXsstkeE7Jc5cyRmYTFQ?e=8ouDcP

Edit- This is a Visio file. If you download it and open it Visio you will see the scale of the drawing.

Hi,

thanks for sharing.

As I needed this bracket by myself I have redrawn it in Inkscape as SVG and exported as DXF for lasercutting. If you don't mind, I can provide this files here.

DerFritz

Edited by DerFritz
typo

schoondoggy
9 hours ago, DerFritz said:

Hi,

thanks for sharing.

As I needed this bracket by myself I have redrawn it in Inkscape as SVG and exported as DXF for lasercutting. If you don't mind, I can provide this files here.

DerFritz

That is fine with me. Feel free to post them if you like.

Thanks

paradox
Posted (edited)

Been running with 3x 2TB M92s in my box for years now thanks to schoons bracket. I think mine is a v3, and I've got the stackers for 4x drives. I'm running out of space so I need to get a new external bay and fill it with 10TB drives or something, I already use the DVD port for a 2TB SSD 'system' drive (freenas jails etc), so I'm out of room.

Unless I suppose I could still use the bracket and stick a larger drive than the 2TB SSD on it? what's the biggest sized drive that will fit on the backet Schoon? (And can you only use 1 drive with the DVD port cable or could I use a splitter? Might not need to get rid of the 4x 2TB drives on the bracket too if I can - I'll still be getting an external bay, but if I can use those on it awesome. I totally forgot what the cables / connectors all look like because it's been about 2 years since I opened my gen8 which is why I ask.

Thanks guys.

(5ek68c9.jpg&key=ee6e60d0d8992269d4be68aa) it looks like I have the SSD connected uding a single SATA cable, so I guess I can't use a SAS cable with 4x SATA heads on the end?

Edited by paradox

schoondoggy
11 hours ago, paradox said:

Been running with 3x 2TB M92s in my box for years now thanks to schoons bracket. I think mine is a v3, and I've got the stackers for 4x drives. I'm running out of space so I need to get a new external bay and fill it with 10TB drives or something, I already use the DVD port for a 2TB SSD 'system' drive (freenas jails etc), so I'm out of room.

Unless I suppose I could still use the bracket and stick a larger drive than the 2TB SSD on it? what's the biggest sized drive that will fit on the backet Schoon? (And can you only use 1 drive with the DVD port cable or could I use a splitter? Might not need to get rid of the 4x 2TB drives on the bracket too if I can - I'll still be getting an external bay, but if I can use those on it awesome. I totally forgot what the cables / connectors all look like because it's been about 2 years since I opened my gen8 which is why I ask.

Thanks guys.

(5ek68c9.jpg&key=ee6e60d0d8992269d4be68aa) it looks like I have the SSD connected uding a single SATA cable, so I guess I can't use a SAS cable with 4x SATA heads on the end?

The Rev3 bracket support up to four 2.5" 9.5mm drives using stackers. The largest capacity 2.5" 9.5mm drives are 2TB. Instead of four 9.5mm drives you could mount two 15mm 2.5" drives. The largest capacity 15mm 2.5" drive is 5TB. I assume you have some type of SATA or SAS card running the extra drives? It is common to use an add in card with four internal and four external drive ports. This would give you nine internal drives and four external. There are threads on external storage, SansDigital and SilverStone both make four drive external units.

• Like 1

paradox
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

The Rev3 bracket support up to four 2.5" 9.5mm drives using stackers. The largest capacity 2.5" 9.5mm drives are 2TB. Instead of four 9.5mm drives you could mount two 15mm 2.5" drives. The largest capacity 15mm 2.5" drive is 5TB. I assume you have some type of SATA or SAS card running the extra drives? It is common to use an add in card with four internal and four external drive ports. This would give you nine internal drives and four external. There are threads on external storage, SansDigital and SilverStone both make four drive external units.

Yeah I have an IBM ServRaid card, the bracket HDDs are in port2 on that, port1 goes to an external 4x bay with 6TB drives, and I have a 2gb SSD in the DVD slot.

If I can stack two 2.5 drives side by side, can't I stick a single 3.5 drive on there anyway? I could get a single 6/8tb drive and use that.. but then I might have more space since I'm using raidz1 on the M9's but no parity. A better option would be to scrap the bracket completely and route the second sas cable to another external bay? is there any way to get more drives from the DVD drive sata cable? I've got a 2GB SSD in there, I could at least up that to a 5TB drive to give me some breathing room? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Factor/dp/B01LXO31IZ/ my pools are all at 85% or so and I can't really afford another external bay with 4x £200 drives in it.

Edit: Found a Barracuda 5TB 2.5" on ebay for £100 brand new, gonna grab that and stick it in the top for now. by the time I can afford another big external bay maybe 10TB drives will be down to £200, I noticed 8TB ones are now (After I bought 8x 6TB ones, although it was years ago now)

Edit 2: I am currently using the USB and SD for freenas and mirroring it, what if I ran it just from the SD, and plugged a 12TB USB3 drive into it, would Plex be able to stream from it even though it's usb 2.0? 

"Yes, if the USB storage device is fast enough. USB 2.0 has a technical limitation of 480 Mbit/s. In practical use a bit less. Ultra HD Blu-ray has a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbit/s, and many recording devices for 4K are using bitrates of 100–200 Mbit/s."

Edited by paradox

paradox

Oh these are old, it's under my stairs now, but this is the setup I'm using with the external pool:

CMwl8y8.jpg

LXhrJi5.jpg

• Like 1