RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

schoondoggy

I forgot to ask it these brackets would fit on an N40 or N54.

They only fit in the Gen 8.

jmwills

Bummer....

PetieG

Hmmm... interesting for sure.  I have 2 SSDs RAID1 in my NL40 in the upper bay, works great.  Looks like they eliminated that space w/ the Gen8's, right?  No way to get 2 SSDs in where the slim DVD drive goes?  Are you booting off of the drive cage?  or the 2 SSDs?  On the NL40 once you pop in another RAID card you can't boot off of the internal B120i which of course, as stock (w/out RBFW) you can only do RAID1.   I use the HP P410 w/ 2 internal ports and fan out one of the P410's microSAS connectors to the 2 SSDs at RAID1 and the cage on the other P410 channel as RAID5.  I prefer this dual RAID channel setup and wondered where I'm gonna put those 2 SSDs!  The samsung 840 Pro's are really slim and i was hoping to put them where the slim DVD is supposed to go.  Looks like I'll have to buy the cheapo Gen8 and experiment before I buy 4 of these to replace the monster Dell or HP towers at clients running SBS2003! 

schoondoggy

Hmmm... interesting for sure.  I have 2 SSDs RAID1 in my NL40 in the upper bay, works great.  Looks like they eliminated that space w/ the Gen8's, right?  No way to get 2 SSDs in where the slim DVD drive goes?  Are you booting off of the drive cage?  or the 2 SSDs?  On the NL40 once you pop in another RAID card you can't boot off of the internal B120i which of course, as stock (w/out RBFW) you can only do RAID1.   I use the HP P410 w/ 2 internal ports and fan out one of the P410's microSAS connectors to the 2 SSDs at RAID1 and the cage on the other P410 channel as RAID5.  I prefer this dual RAID channel setup and wondered where I'm gonna put those 2 SSDs!  The samsung 840 Pro's are really slim and i was hoping to put them where the slim DVD is supposed to go.  Looks like I'll have to buy the cheapo Gen8 and experiment before I buy 4 of these to replace the monster Dell or HP towers at clients running SBS2003! 

As SSD get down to 5mm there is a chance you could stack two in the ODD bay.

I have the two 2.5" drives in a RAID 1 on the B120i and I am running the four drives in the bays in a RAID 5 on a HP P212.

The N40L motherboard RAID is not a B120i it is just the AMD chipset Raid, so it does disable when a RAID card is sensed.

On the Gen 8 as long as you are adding in a HP RAID card the two work together fine. Same management tools, ACU.

I use a P410 in my N54L just as you describe. 

Calle

Hmmm... interesting for sure. I have 2 SSDs RAID1 in my NL40 in the upper bay, works great. Looks like they eliminated that space w/ the Gen8's, right? No way to get 2 SSDs in where the slim DVD drive goes? Are you booting off of the drive cage? or the 2 SSDs? On the NL40 once you pop in another RAID card you can't boot off of the internal B120i which of course, as stock (w/out RBFW) you can only do RAID1. I use the HP P410 w/ 2 internal ports and fan out one of the P410's microSAS connectors to the 2 SSDs at RAID1 and the cage on the other P410 channel as RAID5. I prefer this dual RAID channel setup and wondered where I'm gonna put those 2 SSDs! The samsung 840 Pro's are really slim and i was hoping to put them where the slim DVD is supposed to go. Looks like I'll have to buy the cheapo Gen8 and experiment before I buy 4 of these to replace the monster Dell or HP towers at clients running SBS2003!

2x2.5" drives fits nicely in the top bay so that should not be a problem. You can also split the molex that powers the cage.

PetieG

schondoggy thank you ... i think that the P212 may do the trick and give me an external SAS port too.  Calle, do those fit on the Gen8 Microserver top bay?  I know the others have space, but was curious about the Gen8 one.  Please say it is so!  :)  

PetieG

Oh and BTW I called HP to ask that specific question about an add-in RAID card causing NL40 not to boot off of internal RAID and they said the same thing goes for the Gen8 box... boy am I glad I found this forum!  thanks! 

Calle

schondoggy thank you ... i think that the P212 may do the trick and give me an external SAS port too. Calle, do those fit on the Gen8 Microserver top bay? I know the others have space, but was curious about the Gen8 one. Please say it is so! :)

I have successfully installed a pair of 2.5" drives in the top bay of the Gen8. Is that the confirmation you were looking for?

PetieG

Yes, Calle perfect!!  Thanks again! 

schoondoggy

I have successfully installed a pair of 2.5" drives in the top bay of the Gen8. Is that the confirmation you were looking for?

Were you able to fit both where the ODD sits or did you need to place one in the back above the fan?