RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

schoondoggy

Not too too bad, I prefer my drives to run in the 30C to 35C range, but 40C to 45C isn't terrible. One question though; how noisy is the unit with the fan on full all the time?

It is a bit louder, but not too bad.

I wonder if it would be okay with a 69w CPU also? or if thats really pushing it 

I think I would stay around 35W on the CPU. There are some nice XEONs at 45W. The one I am using is 20W.

schoondoggy

I should have mentioned, during this test I had the two VR drives in a RAID1 on the B120i. I also had four 2TB SATA drives in a RAID5 on a P212.

Everything seems to work OK.

Joe_Miner

I should have mentioned, during this test I had the two VR drives in a RAID1 on the B120i. I also had four 2TB SATA drives in a RAID5 on a P212.

So, you pulled the SFF-8087 connector from the (Sys Board) to the 4-drv cage and attached that to the P212 and then attached another SFF-8087 fan out to the Sys Board and ran two of those up to the Raptors -- so if you had the space (and power) you could attach 2 more drives?  When do you plan to test an external box on the P212?

schoondoggy

So, you pulled the SFF-8087 connector from the (Sys Board) to the 4-drv cage and attached that to the P212 and then attached another SFF-8087 fan out to the Sys Board and ran two of those up to the Raptors -- so if you had the space (and power) you could attach 2 more drives?  When do you plan to test an external box on the P212?

Yes, that is correct.

I will be getting the external soon,,,,,,,

ikon

The way you're going with that box schoondoggy, it will have zero room left inside and will weigh 50 lbs. :)

schoondoggy

Another interesting note, when I connected the internal drive bay to the P212 it picked up the two RAID0's I had created on the B120i. So it would appear that HP maintained the array migration function down to the B120i.

• Like 1

Rusna

If all goes well I may need to take these to production!

Schoondog Server Modifications LLC

SchoonMod MS G8 Two 2.5" drive bracket

So can these be ordered from somewhere? :)

schoondoggy

Not yet.

I am doing a redesign, should have pictures this week.

ikon

So can these be ordered from somewhere? :)

You have to visit schoondoggy's garage in the middle of the night and steal one :ph34r: 

schoondoggy

WD VR drives were running around 45-50c, within the upper limit.

I went into the BIOS and turned the fan up to max cooling. Now they run between 40-45c.

I mounted a 40mm x 40mm x 20mm blower next to the drives and that knocked the heat down to 36c.