RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

mclmm

The first 100 units should be in on Tuesday.

Nice! Please mark me down for one. Helzy, if splitting the shipping works for you, then that would be great! If there are any other local west Canadian members that require one, then I'd be happy to help out, too.

For Canada, I have always had great success just using USPS international, never charged brokerage once yet.

I've always had good luck with USPS, too. However, it all depends on the nature of the item and its declared value. All of Canada Posts Customs Terms and Conditions are concisely set forth at the following link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1382717

The terms potentially applicable in this case are:

Customs duties and taxes

A handling fee of $9.95CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied. This fee is in line with the government’s efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries.

Mail items valued at less than $20CDN

The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less.

Other exemptions

Customs duty may not apply to certain products or products manufactured in certain countries. For example, there are generally no customs duties applicable to products that qualify under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). However, in most cases the Goods and Services Tax (GST) is still applied to these products.

There is also an entry for items declared as gifts, though probably not applicable in this our case unless our funds are presented to schoondoggy as a contribution for raw production costs. Upon funding coverage, contribuotors would receive a gift for their funding contribution. This might be structured in a similar fashion to that of a kickstarter or indiegogo project.

Gifts

Gifts from friends and relatives, valued at $60CDN or less, are duty and tax exempt. In cases where the gift is valued at more than $60CDN, the CBSA will assess duties and taxes on the excess amount. The gift must be sent to the recipient personally and include a card or other notice indicating that it is a gift.

LoneWolf

Okay.  Installation complete, full gallery here with additional photos:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/78-schoondoggy-drive-bracket-installation-production-version/

Parts provided by SchoonDoggy.  Assistance provided by SysAdmin Cat (aka Watson):

gallery_4021_78_59216.jpg

Two Crucial M500 240GB SSDs installed.

gallery_4021_78_72443.jpg

NOTE:  I'm really wishing HP considers the SmartArray P421 controller a supported option in this server.  I have just found that the B120i controller will not let me add a drive to an existing array, as noted here by HP.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03696353-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5293146&ac.admitted=1392476150974.876444892.492883150

This makes the B120i controller pretty worthless for anything serious; you have to have a P-series controller.  The P222 only supporting one channel means you're out of luck there.  For those of you willing to forego official HP support, the P421 controller doesn't cost any more (there were occasions where I found it for a little less) and has two channels, so if you want to make array changes later, it's much  more flexible.

• Like 2

schoondoggy

Looks great!

Thank Sysadmin cat for the endorsement, cats are very tough to impress!

The B120i seems to be fine for situations where you intend to setup the server and never change it, but RAID controllers need to have some kind of upgrade path.

LoneWolf

It's also okay if you don't mind doing two two-drive RAID-1 arrays with the Microserver, but other than that, the B120i is inadequate.

Really wishing HP supported the P421 controller.  I was quite happy having a two-channel controller (the P410) in my previous HP N54L server, with a similar configuration (VRaptors instead of SSDs, but other than that the same), it's just more flexible.

I'm using the opportunity to (assuming it goes successfully) do a bare-metal restore guide for Server 2012.  I won't lose any data, as that's on my hardware array, but if I want to change the B120i, now's a great time to test my backup/restore capability of the system drive.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Excellent!

You've gone all out -- your's has to be the first Gen8 I know of to get a CAT Scan!

• Like 1

Dennis

Okay.  Installation complete, full gallery here with additional photos:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/78-schoondoggy-drive-bracket-installation-production-version/

Parts provided by SchoonDoggy.  Assistance provided by SysAdmin Cat (aka Watson):

Two Crucial M500 240GB SSDs installed.

gallery_4021_78_72443.jpg

NOTE:  I'm really wishing HP considers the SmartArray P421 controller a supported option in this server.  I have just found that the B120i controller will not let me add a drive to an existing array, as noted here by HP.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03696353-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5293146&ac.admitted=1392476150974.876444892.492883150

This makes the B120i controller pretty worthless for anything serious; you have to have a P-series controller.  The P222 only supporting one channel means you're out of luck there.  For those of you willing to forego official HP support, the P421 controller doesn't cost any more (there were occasions where I found it for a little less) and has two channels, so if you want to make array changes later, it's much  more flexible.

Very good.  Just be sure Sysadmin Cat doesn't find any little meeses attached to that thing!

On another note... I'm curious where you got the power for these drives. I see the cables attached at the drive end, but cannot guess where it is sourced.  I have mine loaded with four SEAGATE ST4000VN000 drives, plus one SSD up top.  I'd like to add another SSD or two, via Schoondoggy's mod (which I hope I can order tomorrow <wink, hint>) but just not sure how to power them.  In fact, I have two SAMSUNG MZ-7PD256BW on their way from NewEgg right now.

And on that same topic (sort of) how do I determine if that's not too much power load for the li'l power supply in the Gen8?

Joe_Miner

Very good.  Just be sure Sysadmin Cat doesn't find any little meeses attached to that thing!

On another note... I'm curious where you got the power for these drives. I see the cables attached at the drive end, but cannot guess where it is sourced.  I have mine loaded with four SEAGATE ST4000VN000 drives, plus one SSD up top.  I'd like to add another SSD or two, via Schoondoggy's mod (which I hope I can order tomorrow <wink, hint>) but just not sure how to power them.  In fact, I have two SAMSUNG MZ-7PD256BW on their way from NewEgg right now.

And on that same topic (sort of) how do I determine if that's not too much power load for the li'l power supply in the Gen8?

I got power from the Molex connector under the ODD area..........

clip_image031.jpg

Check these posts for installation info:

http://homeservershow.com/schoondoggy-gen8-drive-mount-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver-first-look.html

http://homeservershow.com/sgdm-sdm-pre-production-review-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.html

When I added two SSD's in the ODD area I came off of the Pwr Connector in the ODD http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7159-unboxinginstalling-my-p222512-fbwc-in-my-gen8/

gallery_1229_80_62856.jpg

In this image it's loaded with 6 VR's, 2 SSD's, the external slim USB ODD, and the P222 and is consuming just over 80 watts -- put some really heavy load on the CPU and you might add 20-30 watts to that.

gallery_1229_80_5799.jpg

Helzy

So once you have the units today, can you let me know any options for next day or 2-3 day service to Alberta? The postalcode is T1S 1X7, I'll pay the premium on the shipping myself if anyone else around the Calgary area wants to jump in on a group buy.

mclmm

So once you have the units today, can you let me know any options for next day or 2-3 day service to Alberta? The postalcode is T1S 1X7, I'll pay the premium on the shipping myself if anyone else around the Calgary area wants to jump in on a group buy.

Helzy,

I'm in for one for sure. Let's see what comes back for shipping options. I've found Federal Express International Priority and  UPS Global Express Saver service both arrive extremely fast without additional brokerage fees. However, any of the FedEx, UPS, etc. ground service options always arrive with extra brokerage fees payable upon delivery, so it's best to avoid these options at all costs.

Edited by mclmm

schoondoggy

Update:

Parts are leaving the plating house, I will pick up tomorrow.

I will open ordering before the end of the week.

Sorry for all the delays.