RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, dikkiedirk said:

Is the SDM supposed to fit under the tab on the PSU? I looked at that tab but only a 1mm thickness plate can fit. Can you still countersink the screws for fitting the harddisk then? Or are you enclosing special flatheaded m3 screws with the SDM?

Are the stackers compatible with 7mm and 9mm drives?

It fits under the raised portion of the tab as in this picture( picture is r3 but r4 fits the same): 

6OHoGu.jpg

The holes in the SDM are countersunk and I ship countersink screws with it.

The 9.5mm stackers work with 9.5mm, 7mm and 5mm drives.

The 7mm stackers work with 7mm and 5mm drives.

Trunkz

Will any method work with 12.5mm or 15mm drives?

schoondoggy
You can mount two 12.5/15mm 2.5" drives on the Rev4 bracket or one on a Rev3.5.

Ikon-TNG

@Joe_Miner, interesting videos. Tight quarters. Also, it sure looks like you could benefit from shorter cables :)

@schoondoggy, I'm wondering, do you package up all those brackets yourself? It seems like quite a bit of work.

Trunkz
21 hours ago, schoondoggy said:
23 hours ago, Trunkz said:

You can mount two 12.5/15mm 2.5" drives on the Rev4 bracket or one on a Rev3.5.

OK brilliant.. SOC-MSG8-R1 - does this simply allow an ODD drive or can one utilise this to place another 2.5" drive in-place of where the ODD would go? :-)

My plan is two have the Rev4 bracket house two SSDs and one 1x 12.5mm drive; and place another 2.5" drive in the ODD area.

schoondoggy
OK brilliant.. SOC-MSG8-R1 - does this simply allow an ODD drive or can one utilise this to place another 2.5" drive in-place of where the ODD would go? :-)

My plan is two have the Rev4 bracket house two SSDs and one 1x 12.5mm drive; and place another 2.5" drive in the ODD area.
The SOC is only for ODD.
For the Rev4, you will need Stackers for the SSDs.

Trunkz
19 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The SOC is only for ODD.
For the Rev4, you will need Stackers for the SSDs.

Buying an ODD HD caddy:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/components-tools-c7/drive-caddies-raid-c321/ultra-slim-odd-caddy-for-2-5-sata-hdd-9-5mm-height-p6605

Something like the above will then allow another 2.5" drive in the ODD bay; stick the 12.5mm drive in that; another 12.5mm drive on the Rev4 bracket and my two SSDs on a stacker.

Job done :-)

schoondoggy

Buying an ODD HD caddy:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/components-tools-c7/drive-caddies-raid-c321/ultra-slim-odd-caddy-for-2-5-sata-hdd-9-5mm-height-p6605

Something like the above will then allow another 2.5" drive in the ODD bay; stick the 12.5mm drive in that; another 12.5mm drive on the Rev4 bracket and my two SSDs on a stacker.

Job done :-)
Not sure if you can fit a 12.5 mm drive in that caddy and still get it to fit in the ODD bay of a MS Gen8. The front edge of the chassis comes back quite far.
What brand/model are the 12.5 mm drives?

Trunkz

Sorry Schoon its the 15mm drive. ST4000LM016 is the model if that helps :-)

ari2asem

is it possible to fit  2x   2,5 inch (upto 9,5mm)  drives into 1 slim-odd slot? and how? maybe new idea for schoondoggy for modification?

i am a new owner of the gen8-device. totally newbie with it. i would like to make an multi-TB device of it as many as could sdd or hdd drives.

@schoondoggy    do you send rev4 brackets internationally (to Holland)? and possibility to pay by credic card (because i dont have and i dont like paypal) ?

Edited by ari2asem