RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 2.5" drive bracket, revision history, New REV 3.5 and Rev 4 info

E3000

What's the Gen8 fan speed/noise like after adding all these extra drives? I'm interested but I like my server quiet as it's in the room with me. If it's anything like bootup noise that would be crazy :D

Edited by E3000

jademonkee

I've added 1x spinning platter laptop drives and 2x SSD using the Schoondoggy bracket, and I have a further spinning platter laptop drive wedged into the CD bay. 

I also added a Noctua 40mm fan, which is strapped to my SAS card. I have 3x 4TB seagate NAS drives in the main bays.

I have also upgraded the CPU to a slightly hotter one (45w Xeon E3-1265L V2).

Fan speed is 9% and basically inaudible - the hard drives make more noise than the fans.

• Like 1

Trig0r

Theres enough space under the optical drive bay for 2 2.5" drives if you move the cables around, I had 2 SSD's in there on mine before I got the SD bracket..

• Like 1

E3000

I've added 1x spinning platter laptop drives and 2x SSD using the Schoondoggy bracket, and I have a further spinning platter laptop drive wedged into the CD bay.

I also added a Noctua 40mm fan, which is strapped to my SAS card. I have 3x 4TB seagate NAS drives in the main bays.

I have also upgraded the CPU to a slightly hotter one (45w Xeon E3-1265L V2).

Fan speed is 9% and basically inaudible - the hard drives make more noise than the fans.

What model is the 1 platter laptop drive pls? and are SSD as good as mechanical HDDs for use as storage drives (in terms of lifespan etc) ? Edited by E3000

jademonkee

What model is the 1 platter laptop drive pls? and are SSD as good as mechanical HDDs for use as storage drives (in terms of lifespan etc) ?

I run unRAID on the server, which is basically a jumped-up NAS. unRAID allows you to use SSD drives (either a single one, or multiple in a pool) as cache drives for network writes, saving you from having to spin up the array for writes, as well as making very fast network writing possible (your network is now the bottleneck). They also store some applications that run on the server, such as Plex, LogitechMediaServer, CrashPlan etc, As such, I don't use them for long-term storage of data. They're not worth the cost if they're only going to be used for file storage, especially as you'd want to fork out for 'enterprise grade' if you're trusting data on it that isn't backed up elsewhere.

The spinning platter drives are: HGST HTS541010A9E680 (Hitachi 1TB) and ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD (Samsung 2TB). I think only one of them is single platter, and I imagine it's the HGST.

I initially bought the SDM for the SSD cache drives, but as I had 2x laptop drives lying around doing nothing, I thought that I might as well add them to the array. I couldn't end up stacking all of them onto the SDM, as one of them was too thick to fit on top of either of my SSDs without obstructing the chassis cover, which is why one of them is in the optical bay. I think it was the Samsung, simply coz, at 2TB, it's more likely to be dual platter.

• Like 1

Trig0r

What model is the 1 platter laptop drive pls? and are SSD as good as mechanical HDDs for use as storage drives (in terms of lifespan etc) ?

If performance is not the issue, and you want more space, spinners are still the way to go, check the model numbers on google and see if they are thin or thicker drives, then you can stack up to 4 on one of the SDM units.

If data is important then spinners can give you more of a warning before they die, drives will click or do "something" before they fail fully to give you warning/chance to get them clear, SSD's, tend to just die and give no/little warning...

• Like 1

schoondoggy

how does the new ver compare to the v3 with fans attached in temps?

https://imgur.com/a/O92QF

https://imgur.com/a/VxSCL

I have not done a side by side comparison, but the R4 seems to keep RAID cards cooler. On the R4 the fan blows directly on the heat sink of the RAID card. On the R4, there is no provision for fans to cool the drives. A blower mounted to the frame support in front of the power supply seems to move the most air over drives mounted on a SDM. 

paradox

I tried to mount my fans yesterday but didn't have the right size screws after I wired them up to the right connectors: V78x9yN.jpg

I think the two same ones might be M3? and the other M2, but having a hard time finding right length M2/M3 screws, as well as little nuts to secure them :/ 

Trig0r

Screws, wtf, I used blutac on mine lol