RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connector on MicroServer G8 motherboard

schoondoggy

When I was swapping the CPU I noticed a connector I had not seen before. It is next to the memory. looks like a ribbon cable would connect to it. Anyone have any idea what this is for?

d617.jpg

It looks waaaay too similar to the hard drive cables HP uses in laptops to be a simple JTAG interface. Though it is not that deep, so I can't say for sure (plus the image is quite blurry).

And in English:

Joint Test Action Group (JTAG) is the common name for the IEEE 1149.1 Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture. It was initially devised by electronic engineers for testing printed circuit boards using boundary scan and is still widely used for this application.

Today JTAG is also widely used for IC debug ports. In the embedded processor market, essentially all modern processors implement JTAG when they have enough pins. Embedded systems development relies on debuggers communicating with chips with JTAG to perform operations like single stepping and breakpointing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jtag

And in English:

I'm still going to need to google translate that Techanese to English.  "port to hardwire access a re-writable chip in a device to modify/erase and rewrite it’s code"

Hi all

Wish it was for the FBWC module for the embedded B120i Dynamic Smart Array Controller to give us RAID-5 on-board...  :wacko:

Cheers

Hi all

Wish it was for the FBWC module for the embedded B120i Dynamic Smart Array Controller to give us RAID-5 on-board...  :wacko:

Cheers

WOW, I was wishing the same darn thing...LOL