RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dropbox screwed up big time...

Pancakes

So I had dropbox working for ages, then it decided it couldn't sync because it never had permissions.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and then it wouldnt make a dropbox folder because the source was "Read Only"

The source is my D drive that it has access to. Then I made a folder from the Dropbox installer manually and it said it was a "System Folder" and wouldnt select it.

Now I get these messages, and no admin account can delete it..

Image%202013-08-07%20at%201.03.53%20AM.p

Image%202013-08-07%20at%201.04.27%20AM.p

Is this folder going to be stuck on there forever?

If i log off the folder is gone, then if i refresh the page its there again, I can delete it but then it comes back and says access denied...

WHAT THE HELL?

Take ownership of the folder using powershell running as an administrator then readjust the permissions on the folder. Here is a good place to start
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/87679d43-04d5-4894-b35b-f37a6f5558cb/solved-how-to-take-ownership-and-change-permissions-for-blocked-files-and-folders-in-powershell

Tried all that, didn't do anything. Just gives me access denied every time

It feels like im going to have to take the drive out and delete it on my own...

Excellent question JayBee; was wondering the same. Perhaps logging in using the old local account would give access to the folder?

Well this is the server, so it was always on the Domain, the user accounts have not changed.

I figured it out anyway, I had Samsung Camera Auto Backup going to the dropbox folder, and it kept re-creating it and holding onto it. I just wish it told me...

Perhaps some thought on not using your server for everything is needed here. You might want to consider not adding programs like that to the server, or at the least use a VM although depending on where you point the directory to it could still cause access issues.

There are some programs (freeware) that will tell you what and/or who is accessing a particular drive or file preventing you from deleting it or causing problems like you are facing. I suppose you could always move your storage files to a NAS so you could run the software from another system and not have those problems, but who needs a NAS and a server? (yes - I realize that was sarcastic.)

Then there is no real point in having it, one of the mail uses is so i can distribute files into skydrive/dropbox/copy