RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Are All 495's Resource Hogs?

awraynor

I grew weary of my 495 running like it had a 500mhz celeron and 512MB of RAM. I logged in via RDP and noticed HPMSSService and Twonky competing for the CPU, 40-50% for each. On the memory side the indexing service was using 250MB of RAM with Avast a second at 150MB. I have disabled HPMSS and Twonky and am in the process of uninstalling Avast.

I know HP tried to included these value added services, but are they as resource intensive on everyone else's machines?

Interesting that my frankenbuild SFF test server with a 2GHZ single core processor and 1GB of RAM is snappy with my netbook connectsing flawlessly to it. Kind of wishing I had opted for a more powerful frankenbuild at this time.

I've spoken with HP support (twice) regarding Twonky. While my issue had nothing to do with high CPU usage, the upshot of that conversation was that Twonky is a 'work in progress' as far as HP was concerned. Basically, it has problems and I personally have given up on it. I haven't disabled it, but I just don't plan on using it anymore. At least, not until there's a major update/bug fix.

I have the EX495 and it runs fine. I installed Vail on it, and that ran fine. In my opinion, the hardware is decent enough. Having said that, I have wondered how WHS v1 OEM would run on it. My bet is that it would be snappier.

awraynor, there's always the nuclear option - server restore.

*I just RDP'd in and checked HpmssService and the Twonky processes. All were at 0% CPU utilization.

Also - Check Diehard's recommendation for dealing with Twonky

I had thought about installing the OEM version on it, or simply disabling all the HP addons. It is frequently so sluggish the console won't even load. I will work with and see where I end up?

Well, do what you have to. But maybe start with Stop Sharing in Media Server under the MediaSmart Server tab. See what that does for you.