RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WiFi router vulnerability

JayBee

WIreless networks tend to frighten me as well in a corporate sense but nowadays wi-fi can be considered almost as secure as a wired connection. The most extreme I have gone to was for a corporate client, we installed a one way wired network for their more sensitive information so to access specific shares users had to be jacked into the network. Even then your physical security needs to be up to scratch. I've lost count the amount of times I've discovered easily accessible network points in so called "secure" environments.

Considering that most data theft/leakages happen due to an "inside man" anyway there really isn't much you can do to 100% protect information. Another common thing i've found lately is wireless networks that are completely unprotected but do not broadcast their SSID. It's as if the geniuses who set them didn't think anybody could find them.

ikon

True enough about 'insiders'. Compartmentalization is the only answer I know of to deal with that, unlike what a certain 3-letter agency apparently did in Hawaii :) I have to say I was shocked to hear of the way that system was apparently set up. From the description, it wouldn't even pass Security 101.

JayBee

Well, to be honest from the outside looking in to the American system it just looks like one big security clearance fire sale ever since homeland security happened. I'm sure with the recent disclosures this will change.