RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FreeNAS for Noobs

Technogod

Thanks FiLiNuX for bringing FreeNAS to my attention. After watching 

I found FreeNAS was using FreeBSD which is based on Unix. This is a good introduction video. Unfortunately I'm your typical male and refuse to read any instructional information until after the fact :D

The GUI doesn't work with IE. Use Firefox.

If you don't have a CD-ROM drive installed on your server like me. Don't forget to uncompress the file like I did :P  Follow  this explanation under Using 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager on Windows

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_from_the_Image.

Download User's Guide on the download page which will answer most of your questions.

After creating a Guest User and CFIS share I was still unable to gain write permission. I had to manually enable write access under the User or Group.

Seems like a very powerful NAS option. So far I am only using Pooling of hard drives. So far so good.

Your welcome!!  The power that Unix & Linux puts at your fingertips can be addictive and for me and many others it really does PUT THE FUN BACK INTO COMPUTING!! 

Yes Free NAS is made from Free BSD Unix and therefore has over "THREE DECADES of continuous development, improvement, and optimization."

Are you running the brand new 9.1.0 or did you get 8.X?  Screenshots of the new 9.1.0 would be welcome.  

I know that there have been issues in the past with IE & FreeNAS but I don't want people to think that it just flat out doesn't work.  I personally don't use IE but I do know people who have FreeNAS servers that do.  (Ohhh gosh, did I just defend a MS product ;)

The user guide on FreeNAS web site is great and (I know I have posted this here before) the FreeBSD handbook available on FreeBSD's website is WONDERFUL and a treasure chest of how to use Unix goodness.  

One of the  (if not the) most powerful best of the best reasons for running FreeNAS (or BSD) is ZFS.  If you are not familiar with it Google it as it truly dominates in what it does.  I have been wanting to add drives (still looking for 250 GB's cheap) to my MicroServer just so I can run ZFS but finances have not allowed that as of yet.  Also when you install Unix / Linux OS's you have access to MASSIVE collections of almost every kind of software you can think of  thats just a click (or command ;) away all in ez little packages and ALL FOR FREE!!

THANK YOU for the helpful tips you provided & for the post!!  Im off to build a VM of the new 9.1.0 right now!!

IE on UNIX?

BLASPHEMY!! :)  (Although just to get a bunch of weird looks & laughs at the next *nix get together I attend I am going to ask "Is anyone having problems with their IE 10 on Free-BSD 9.2?"

No , The most popular way to access & configure FreeNAS  is via  a browser.  :)  

I'm running FreeNAS 9.1.0. I noticed you were going to run FreeNAS in a VM. From what I've read that isn't recommended in a production machine. Only for testing. I'm running Windows 8 Pro with Hyper-V. If you have been successful running FreeNAS 9.1.0 in a VM under Windows 8 Pro I'd be interested in how you did it.

Just FYI, the intefcae does work with IE iff you enable the compatibility view and run it as administrator. Not just logged in as admin, but actually run as admin. It is the same issue when you try to access some servers built-in remote access modules (notably Dell servers.) I'd think running FreeNAS as a VM with hard drive passthrough would work, but not in Hyper-V. As yet it does not have reliable BSD emulation. Their Linux emulation and driver support is greatly improved with 2012 R2 but that is (so far) only applicable to server Linux versions, notably those you pay for.

TechnoGod, 

I am just throwing it in a VM to poke around and see whats new not for production use.  I would love to help but I don't have Windows 8  or run anything under Hyper -V so I can't offer much there.  

TImeKills,

Your suggestions do fix a lot of the incompatibility issues with IE from what I have seen / read.  Chromium is the only one I used (when I was running FreeNAS) that had zero issues.  

"Their Linux emulation and driver support is greatly improved with 2012 R2 but that is (so far) only applicable to server Linux versions, notably those you pay for."

On a good side to this any of the few distro's of Linux that are commercial (paid for) all have free alternatives that are (artwork & name aside) Identical.  The distro that most ask me about is Red Hat and for anyone wanting to learn, run, or DO ANYTHING with Red Hat Linux in a situation like you mentioned should grab Cent OS.

• 1 year later...

Your welcome!!  The power that Unix & Linux puts at your fingertips can be addictive and for me and many others it really does PUT THE FUN BACK INTO COMPUTING!! 

Yes Free NAS is made from Free BSD Unix and therefore has over "THREE DECADES of continuous development, improvement, and optimization."

Are you running the brand new 9.1.0 or did you get 8.X?  Screenshots of the new 9.1.0 would be welcome.  

I know that there have been issues in the past with IE & FreeNAS but I don't want people to think that it just flat out doesn't work.  I personally don't use IE but I do know people who have FreeNAS servers that do.  (Ohhh gosh, did I just defend a MS product ;)

The user guide on FreeNAS web site is great and (I know I have posted this here before) the FreeBSD handbook available on FreeBSD's website is WONDERFUL and a treasure chest of how to use Unix goodness.  

One of the  (if not the) most powerful best of the best reasons for running FreeNAS (or BSD) is ZFS.  If you are not familiar with it Google it as it truly dominates in what it does.  I have been wanting to add drives (still looking for 250 GB's cheap) to my MicroServer just so I can run ZFS but finances have not allowed that as of yet.  Also when you install Unix / Linux OS's you have access to MASSIVE collections of almost every kind of software you can think of  thats just a click (or command ;) away all in ez little packages and ALL FOR FREE!!

THANK YOU for the helpful tips you provided & for the post!!  Im off to build a VM of the new 9.1.0 right now!!

FiLiNux,

Just started looking into FreeNAS.  Seems there is not much interest here in FreeNAS as this forum section got created a while ago and even when this forum for it was introduced, those that post here the most seemed to shoot this forum down right off as it does not have bare metal restore "so what's the use" was a comment.  

But for me I'm thinking from the little I've looked into it that it has some great features.  Are you still using it?  And the video posted above says you really should know command line, which I don't.  

But I've watched other videos that don't even talk about command line.  Could you PM me about where to find some good info on FreeNAS?

Edited by g725s