RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L w/WS2012E and a missing hard drive

ricopsuedo

Ok, if this has been covered here, I can't find it via the search.  I have a new N54L with Windows Server 2012 Essentials installed and functioning.  I was checking on a message that I got that said that a new drive had been installed in my server.  However, I haven't installed any new drives in my server since I got it setup.  I haven't even installed DriveBender or DrivePool on it yet.  I have the 250GB OS drive that came with it.  I put in 3 Red 2TB drives in the remaining 3 bays.  I had moved the server folders to my D: drive for the short term (until I decide on DriveBender vs DrivePool).

When I pull up the Dashboard, it shows that I am missing my D: Drive.  I have C, E and F.  When I go to Computer Management/Disk Management on the server, it shows Disk 1 as unallocated and it wants to set it up again (which I believe will format the drive).

My current backups are also on that drive.  Before I do anything with the Disk Management to set the drive up again, I wanted to check with everyone to see if you had seen this before.  

I am also getting an error that the backup service is not running.

Thanks for everyone's help!

David 

Ok, a little more information.  When I rebooted the server, the drive came back.  I checked the event viewer and it showed some IO errors to segments of Disk1.  I am re-trying my server and client backups to see if they work now.

This has me worried that either the drive is going bad or something else is going on in my server.

Thanks.

David  

I'm not sure how to tell. Is there a method of this from stock Windows Server 2012 Essentials?  I haven't installed any additional software on the server yet.

Or there's a 30-day free trial of Stablebit Scanner here:

http://stablebit.com/Scanner

Stablebit Scanner has saved my bacon twice now by finding HDD's that were nearing failure. 

I would suggest you also go to WD's support site and download their HDD testing tools -- they're free and they're excellent IMHO.  I use WD's and Seagate's HDD tools when I have a question about a drive and if it fails their tests I print out a copy of the failed test to mail with the drive when I RMA it back.

Stablebit Scanner has saved my bacon twice now by finding HDD's that were nearing failure. 

I would suggest you also go to WD's support site and download their HDD testing tools -- they're free and they're excellent IMHO.  I use WD's and Seagate's HDD tools when I have a question about a drive and if it fails their tests I print out a copy of the failed test to mail with the drive when I RMA it back.

Out of interest, what were the failure reason? SMART or sector?

" Is there a method of this from stock Windows Server 2012 Essentials?"

I agree with what the OP is asking "  Everyone is offering up suggestions for "add - on's" which I am sure are great (and probably better and are needed later) but doesn't Server 2012 E have some drive  tools built into it (health monitoring)?  For a situation like this I would think it would be best to just check the included tools to see if its a disk problem or something else (which I am guessing it is from the provided information).  I 

For detailed information there are a couple VERY HELPFUL  Walking MS Server knowledge bases (experts) that are on here but for just a "here it is" right direction answer : Dashboard -> Storage -> Hard Drives (you should be able to check drive health.

On a side note EVERYONE great suggestion on the FREE  HDD tools.  Im not just being my normal advocate of Free Open Source Software right now but at times the money is just not there to buy ANY additional software regardless of cost.  

Edited by FiLiNuX

MS typically doesn't include a lot of utilities for things like drive health. They've had so much trouble with the DOJ and EU over monopoly practices that they leave most of this stuff to 3rd parties. On the other hand, many of the 3rd party utilities are really very good