RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP N360T on N54L with FreeNAS 8?

pandemonium

Hello everybody... once again :),

I've got a N54L with the modded bios and FreeNAS8 using RAIDZ2 on 5x1Tb HDDs. I'm thinking of getting a HP N360T dual gigabit card, and I read here that some folks have been having a bit of trouble with the N360T dual gigabit card. I've been thinking of getting this card, but have a few questions...

• Does the dual gigabit card really work with the N54L with the modded bios and FreeNAS seamlessly?
  • How does the card really work? Does it make accessing the NAS faster? Does it make the data transfer quicker? Or, is it just a failover card?
  • Since I intend to use a Netgear GS116E ultimately, will this make things quicker at all or am I just throwing good money away?
  • Will I be able to just slot the card in and expect it to work? Or, do I somehow install drivers on FreeNAS 8? And if I do need to install drivers on FreeNAS 8, how do I do that? I've not been able to find any tutorials on installing drivers (of any type) on FreeNAS.

Thanking you in advance.

I do not know about the exact card you are referring to (yes, I am being lazy and not looking it up :) but I believe it will be supported by FreeNAS and will work without problem just fine.  

How *nix OS's handles hardware support (drivers) is a LOT different then other OS's you may have been used to.  A LOT of hardware support is baked right into the kernel so it just works.   It is a subject that I can probably dig up some information for if your interested.  

If you are meaning "make the NAS" faster with the thoughts of using both NIC's together at the same time like link aggregation / teaming  it CAN work, is fairly easy to do from a Linux/Unix command prompt but it requires that the switch support 802.3 ad (I think thats it) as well.  It will only be faster from NAS -> switch unless  you have teamed NIC's going on from there.  

Seems like how it always goes huh, just got FreeNAS 8 slapped into shape and doing what you want AND THE NEXT DAY THEY DROP A BRAND NEW VERSION ON YOU!! :)  At least in the FOSS world new OS"s dont mean more $$$.  Don't worry though EVERYTHING you learned about FreeBSD Unix setting up your server rolls forward.  Unix is great about that.  You should also be able to upgrade easily to 9.x.x if you want.  

• Like 1

I do not know about the exact card you are referring to (yes, I am being lazy and not looking it up :) but I believe it will be supported by FreeNAS and will work without problem just fine.

I think it does support the N360T based on reading threads here. But some folks have alluded to having issues with the modded BIOS. And since I've got the modded BIOS to take advantage of 5 HDDs in a RAIDZ2 configuration (data redundancy is more important to me), I was curious to know if anyone with a modded BIOS has a HP N360T dual gigabit card installed.

How *nix OS's handles hardware support (drivers) is a LOT different then other OS's you may have been used to.  A LOT of hardware support is baked right into the kernel so it just works.   It is a subject that I can probably dig up some information for if your interested.

That sounds fairly straightforward then - I should just be able to slot the N360T in and it should be picked up & used on next boot, right?

If you are meaning "make the NAS" faster with the thoughts of using both NIC's together at the same time like link aggregation / teaming  it CAN work,

Well essentially, yes. Make accessing the NAS faster i.e. data transfer quicker.

Is it possible to use all 3 ethernet ports in tandem to make transfer speeds fast + failover in case 1 of them goes kaput?

is fairly easy to do from a Linux/Unix command prompt but

Would this be everytime I boot the m/c or just run it once and that's it? If its everytime the m/c boots up, probably a CRON job may be more appropriate?

It requires that the switch (to) support 802.3 ad (I think thats it) as well.

The router I've got is <<<Netgear GS116E ProSafe Plus>>>. As per Netgear's website, it supports the following standards:

• IEEE® 802.3i 10BASE-T Ethernet
  • IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet
  • IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
  • IEEE 802.3x flow control

Does this mean I can "port aggregate" and get faster transfer speeds?

It will only be faster from NAS -> switch unless  you have teamed NIC's going on from there.

Agreed. But, I assume I'll be able to stream + copy to + copy from the NAS quicker than if I were to do via only 1 port?

Seems like how it always goes huh, just got FreeNAS 8 slapped into shape and doing what you want AND THE NEXT DAY THEY DROP A BRAND NEW VERSION ON YOU!! :)  At least in the FOSS world new OS"s dont mean more $$$.  Don't worry though EVERYTHING you learned about FreeBSD Unix setting up your server rolls forward.  Unix is great about that.  You should also be able to upgrade easily to 9.x.x if you want.  

Phew! Yes, I'm just waiting for some youtube video to see what it actually looks like. I'd hate to throw a perfectly good setup away! Although, mind you, the Transmission plugin's permission issue is still not sorted as yet. Might be a good idea to start from scratch on the 9.1.0... but, isn't 9.2.0 coming out soon as well?

Hello My Friend,

I have semi bad news. :(  I just did a quick search on the switch you have and although it is a VERY NICE SWITCH it does not appear to support 802.3 AD (link aggregation / teaming). 

Are you actually saturating the Gigabit connection you have running right now?  

yes to your question, it would be better when multiple devices/people were accessing the NAS via the switch at the same time, stream +copy to +copy from

* 802.3 ad (shocked I actually remembered and got one of the standard #'s right without looking yesterday! :) is a feature that is usually found  in Managed & some SMART switches.  I was pretty impressed with the other router in this link with all it did for around 100.00.  http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-NetGear-KIT-16PORT-10-100-1000MBPS-NetGear-NetGear-FSM726NA-24-Port-10-100-Managed-Switch-FSM726~PRDLT-27948469-31725658  .   I can't afford a gigabit NIC so I set up a old box I have here (its running something important 24/7) so I threw in 4 10/100 NICs I had in the spare parts bin and learned about 802.3 ad switch requirements AFTER bonding all the cards together, cabling it, and everything else so at least you are finding out BEFORE all the hassle. (It was a learning experience so thats a + :)

"Would this be everytime I boot the m/c or just run it once and that's it? If its everytime the m/c boots up, probably a CRON job may be more appropriate?"

CRON Job??  Look at you Unix Jedi!! :)  Nope its a simple script change and a command or two and its setup for good. Seriously it can be done in under a minute once you know what to do. 

People are having problems with a NIC after Modding the BIOS?  If it was a specific link could you post it for me.  I am trying to think what / how the two would cause a problem with each other & I can't see what it would be (from the limited amount I know about the two specifics here (the card & mod'd BIOS).  

WAIT!! I decided to curb my laziness (not to much :) googled the N360T).  I was stating this NIC should not have any problems with FreeNAS but now wonder does this card work in the Micro Server out of the box? (this may help answer my question directly above) .  After a bit more reading the post "Strange problem with NC360T card" here on HSS shows someone with a setup almost identical to yours with it working.  Im wondering about the the 4x vs 1x and speeds issues though.  J. Miner should be able to provide info on this NIC better then I could as I think he was/is running one.  

I agree with you 110% that it is wise to wait a little while before throwing the new "latest & greatest" on your production machine.  FreeNAS (like all good OS's) does go through a very rigorous beta & RC process though before being labeled "stable".  

Edited by FiLiNuX

Ah well, I've bought it now. So, unless I flog it on eBay, I might as well use it.

No, I don't think I'm saturating the Gigabit switch at all... far from it. But, I suppose I'm one of those idiots who'd buy a tank to shoot a squirrel !! I make up my lack of accuracy, by firepower it seems!

Ninja! LOL... I just know the words... I'll be back here to learn how to create the cron job eventually rofl.

The link I meant (re issues with the modded BIOS and the NC360T) is this <<<LINK>>>. Think this is the same one you mention.

I'm not using the NAS for production... I'm actually using it at home. I had a DLink DNS-323 which went kaput (I think the HDD went kaput, but I can't get myself to rely on it anymore) - hence this new venture. I'm actually happy enough to move to 9.1.0, but I read somewhere that 9.2.0 is the stable version and it might be coming out soon.

I just realised... you're in America! Sorry mate... I actually thought you were here in the UK... hence, the invite to pop around for a beer. My apologies for being so presumptuous!

I am sure you will get good use out of it. 

Now I MAY be mistaken (and usually am when I just blurt stuff out without checking 1st) but I think you might be confusing two different things in regards to a FreeNAS 9.2.0 Release.  Free-BSD just released the first release candidate (on the 5th) of their soon to be released version 9.2.0 NOT FreeNAS who just released a entire new revision a very short time ago (9.1.0).  

I am right there with you thinking and wishing new versions should be put out every other week with massive improvements in everything from usability to stability but the people who make these things insist on going through this whole "development and testing" phase :)  Really though we haven't even seen minor revision numbers of the 9.1.0 Free-NAS yet and I would be SHOCKED if a hard date for FreeNAS 9.2.0 was even known yet.  

Don't worry about the geographical oversight.  I often don't know where I am either :) 

• Like 1

Now I MAY be mistaken (and usually am when I just blurt stuff out without checking 1st) but I think you might be confusing two different things in regards to a FreeNAS 9.2.0 Release.  Free-BSD just released the first release candidate (on the 5th) of their soon to be released version 9.2.0 NOT FreeNAS who just released a entire new revision a very short time ago (9.1.0).

No... I think you may well be right. I read much, but how much of it actually trickles down through this thick skull... is amazingly minimal !

My next task is to try and get a couple of IP Cameras to store to the NAS. Off to troll the forum again... if I don't find anything, I'll probably end up raising another thread.

"My next task is to try and get a couple of IP Cameras to store to the NAS. Off to troll the forum again... if I don't find anything, I'll probably end up raising another thread."

That is a thread that I would be VERY interested to check out as I have been messing around a little bit with *nix  OS's & camera surveillance.   As I can't afford a new cable let alone new hardware right now I have actually found packages / sources that allow you to setup webcams and the sort just as you would a "IP Camera's".  (I guess as long as you have a camera and you are transferring data over IP protocol its a IP cam :)  

The cost of decent PTZ IP Cams has come down A LOT lately to it seems.  I have seen some great deals on lots of different sources.  

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The NC360T is in! Yay... finally! Seems to be working ok... so far so good :). As you said, didn't have to do anything, just slotted it in, rebooted and... it worked.

Been searching for a couple of days, but not got much headway on the IP Camera front. From what I've read so far, it seems that IP Cameras will happily write to FTP servers... So, if I enable the NAS into a FTP server... I should be able to write to it without much trouble... shouldn't I?

Famous last words...!

I'm not saying things haven't changed since I last did any of this, but when I was, the cameras would only write jpegs or similar (i.e. photos, not videos) to FTP servers. That may be what you want, but I suspect it isn't.