RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Netgear N600 - WNDR3700 Problems

Pancakes

So far this has been the worst router I have owned. This problem its started having makes it useless, this is what happens:

Ethernet - Fine, but a little slower than usual. Router Login Page does not work. Everything else works

Wireless - Doesn't resolve web pages, but Skype works fine, can RDP fine. Can't even get to local webpages

I can still get 112mb/s~ across the LAN, ping and speedtest show what it should be. But it has a delay before a page loads

Restarting it resolved it, but I am having to do that more and more lately

This is how its configured:

2wire AT&T U-Verse router as a "modem" plugged into WAN port

GBE Port 1 - CAT5 that goes to 5 port gigabit switch that has 4 of 5 populated (Smart TV, Media Center, Desktop, and then the uplink)

GBE Port 2 - HP Microserver

GBE Port 3 - Nothing

GBE Port 4 - Nothing

Honestly I don't think I am overloading it, not much is going on. The room its in is fairly warm, and its on-top of my Server, but everything else in the room is fine including the crappy 2wire router, and my server. Its not crazy warm

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Edited by Pancakes

FiLiNuX

Pancakes,

I know this is not a direct answer for any of your questions but have you considered a 3rd party firmware for your router?  Earlier today I posted my VERY happy feelings about the latest Tomato by Shibby firmware for my Netgear Router (I believe it is available for yours as well) here on the forums.  I know that not only did it fix a LOT of quirks the router was having with the factory firmware (it was on a VERY brief time) but it improved performance and opened up A LOT of options the stock firmware did not offer. 

I have been using Tomato for a while now and could never go back.  If you are interested / have questions I will do everything I can to help.  

One question I would like to ask is what IP are you using to access the router "login page"?  

Pancakes

I have thought about sticking dd-wrt on there, but I am building up a pfsense/untangle router anyway so I just want it to work until then

I'm using the defualt http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm for the login page

ikon

The first thing I would recommend is to not connect your Microserver to the router; connect it instead to the gigabit switch. You likely will want a bigger switch than a 5-port.

What happens if you power down the router for 5 minutes and power it back up? Does it start working better for a while?

FiLiNuX

Why would you not use 192.168.1.1 or whatever the IP of the router is?   

Maybe I am getting to comfy with my command line :) 

DD-WRT is great and without them 3rd Party Firmware for routers would NOT be where it is now but IMHO they have made some bad mistakes with the directions they have taken.  If you change your mind the "upgrade" to Tomato is literally a 10 minute job at the most.  Then if your like me its hours & hours of having to try out & play with every #@$! button and setting they put in the firmware!!  

Pancakes

The first thing I would recommend is to not connect your Microserver to the router; connect it instead to the gigabit switch. You likely will want a bigger switch than a 5-port.

What happens if you power down the router for 5 minutes and power it back up? Does it start working better for a while?

I have a 16 Port HP Procurve coming, but its from Canada. and with the amount of traffic coming of the server there is no reason I should even need a better switch. This even happens when I'm just browsing the web

If i power it down for literally 1 second and back up its fine for another period of time (anywhere from a few hours to a day)

FiLiNuX

If you want to stick with the stock firmware I would recommend a 30-30-30 reset as I REALLY think it will help some of the problems you are having. 

ikon

Any time someone tells me that their consumer level router is acting up after a period of time, and gets better after being powered down and back up, I suggest they see if there's a version of Tomato or DD-WRT for their router. In my experience, 3rd party firmware is almost always more reliable and stable than the OEM stuff.

Pancakes

Turned off all of the "File Server" features and so far its been running MUCH cooler, perhaps hosting all those things I never use was causing it to overheat?

ikon

Possible, but more likely it's memory issues. Consumer routers are notorious for having poor memory management. After a period of time the memory gets clogged up with junk and the unit slows down. Some units have a habit of actually crashing. 3rd party firmware has been a Godsend for many of these routers.