RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

[How to] setup WHS2011 server backup to use a VHD.

Mr_Smartepants

Great post. One point - I'd suggest GPT only in case you have to ever exceed the 2TB barrier. Although I can't remember if there is a 2TB block on server backups too with WHS2011 so it may be moot.

How to setup WHS2011 server backup to use a VHD instead of a local disk.
One of the things that really bugged me about WHS2011 was that in order to setup server backup, you needed to dedicate an entire drive just for server backup because the wizard will take over the entire drive.

Thanks for this great info. Since the dashboard server backup wizard was giving me trouble over the weekend I remoted into the server and ended up in the Server Manager, Windows Server Backup and in the Schedule Backup wizard I noticed it gave me the option to have the server backup to a dedicated disk or a volume or shared network drive. I haven't messed with those, do they work, does your method have an advantage? In the descritpion It did mention something like a 200% decrease in performance during a backup to a volume I think. I don't think I am liking the dedicated disk method either.

Hmm, I didn't look that deep into those methods.  

I did check the difference in the start/finish times for the backups and didn't notice any slowdowns at all.

What I like about the VHD method is my Drobo "backup/sync" script treats the VHD as a "file" instead of a "file system".

Great post. One point - I'd suggest GPT only in case you have to ever exceed the 2TB barrier. Although I can't remember if there is a 2TB block on server backups too with WHS2011 so it may be moot.

There is.  Still would be worth considering but 2011 was limited to 2T regardless of disk size.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Post!

I used the VHD feature so that crashplan could see a vhd on my Drobo as a backup target, but I never figured out how automatically attach the VHD on reboot.  Nice.