RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GDog

Can anyone identify this very nice generic Storage Array box?

GDog

Hello everyone,

Sorry I don’t post more often. It’s not because I don’t care (I never miss a podcast!), I am just currently working 2 jobs and between that, a wife and 2 kids, there is not very much spare time.

Anyway, I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to identify this 5-Bay Storage Array Box I picked up on ebay. There is not a single spot anywhere on this thing (inside or out) that has a name or a number that can be used to identify the maker. I have already Google’d every number I could find with no results.

Seller was a PC Parts & Repair Biz that said it was working but only supports 2TB max HDD’s which is not a problem for me. It did not come with a Host Controller card, which is the main reason why I am trying to identify it so I can determine a compatible card to use. I am told the Port Multiplier chip is a Silicon Image 3132. I would also like to get some specs on the unit.

The box is extremely well made with a1/8” all-aluminum shell with black anodized removable panels top, sides & rear. The shiny top cover looks like plexiglass! All the plastic parts (mostly just aesthetics) are of dense, high quality plastic. The PSU is sitting in the bottom-most tray and pulls out for easy servicing. There are not one but TWO 80mm exhaust fans with a switch for Hi-Lo speeds. Truthfully, this thing is so nicely made, I suspect it is made by one of the Chinese manufacturers who probably make it for one of the higher end U.S. makers.

I am posting just one photo of the front view in this post because they came out way larger than I had hoped. All the photos are well under 1MB, which I had hoped would be OK, but I think they are too large. So, below this photo, you will see a link to my Photobucket folder, where you can view the other 13 photos of all the other angles.

I would sure appreciate it if you guys could take a look at these photos and, if you cannot identify it directly, then maybe tell me it looks very similar to a ________ Model by ________ Manufacturer.

Thanks so much in advance,

Gary

FrontFull.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp6/garydeloach/Forums/Home%20Server%20Show/RearFull.jpg

After you click on the link, just use the right or left arrows in the first photo to browse the other ones.

Thanks,

Edited by GDog

pcdoc

Sorry I can not help you as I have never seen this before however I am sure that most cards that support port replication should work.  I would buy something that you can return if it does not work but most of these conform to a standard.  You should not need a proprietary card to make this work.  Assuming it is an eSata device, any card that handles port replication should be good to go.

ikon

It does look like a pretty nice box. I suspect almost any eSATA card with Port Multiplier would work, but you might want to stick with an SiL3132 based card. StarTech has some. I think the most important thing is to ensure you get one that has good drivers for the OS you're using on the server to which you want to connect the box.

GDog

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking also. I have 2 controller cards I could use, one based on the Marvel 91xxx chip and another with the Silicon Image chip. I was just hoping someone could identify it or match it up to something else.

Anyone else got any ideas?

KydDynoMyte

AMS VENUS T5 DS-2350J, 5-Bay SATA-eSATA RAID Storage Enclosure?

Also looks like

SNT SNT-ESATA350SESR Aluminum 3.5" x 5 Bay
Black eSATA 5 Bay SATA to eSATA External RAID Enclosure Backplane Port
Multiplier w/ 2 x 80m

Looks like evryone just slaps their own faceplate on the body.

Edited by KydDynoMyte

GDog

AMS VENUS T5 DS-2350J, 5-Bay SATA-eSATA RAID Storage Enclosure?

Also looks like

SNT SNT-ESATA350SESR Aluminum 3.5" x 5 Bay

Black eSATA 5 Bay SATA to eSATA External RAID Enclosure Backplane Port

Multiplier w/ 2 x 80m

Looks like evryone just slaps their own faceplate on the body.

I think you may have found it. They are both very similar, but appear to be missing the pull-out PSU. Then I found this using a Google search on the "SNT SNT-ESATA350SESR Aluminum 3.5" x 5 Bay":   http://www.directron.com/esata350sesr.html

Looks like that missing PSU tray is probably there. Just can't see it because of a name plate that likely snaps in front of it that I do not have with my unit. Looks like the SNT picture on Directron is a match. However, I also think you are right about a lot of makers just putting their name on it. Actually, that might be a plus, being as it would have to be fairly generic, as PCDoc said - meaning most any SiI based controller that supports port multiplier will likely work. I  already have a SiI 3132 controller AND port multiplier, so I think worst case for me is I might have to mount my own multiplier board in that case somehow. Can't locate the correct backplate right now, but I will. I will set up a test next weekend and if anyone is interested, I can report back here & let everyone know how it went.

Thanks so much! You led me in the right direction. 

ikon

Looks like you nailed it :)