RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Scheduling Server Backup errors

KydDynoMyte

KydDynoMyte

I hooked up a 2TB USB external drive and tried to setup the WHS11 server backup.

If go through the wizard and check "System Backup (recommended)" it fails to setup saying to make sure your drives are connected blah blah blah.

Just checking "Operating System" instead works.

If I try to manually setup a backup schedule under Windows Server Backup it gives me a useful error about the file system is not supported on my Stablebit DrivePools on C:. I take those out and get an error about reparse point, take those out, and then get the unsupported format make sure it is NTFS error. Am I not going to be able to set up a bare metal server restore? I unslected "System State" and then am able to get the schedule to be accepted. Am I going to need that "System State" to be able to bare metal restore the server? What should I be doing different?

The first thing I would do differently is to not have any drive pools on C:. IMHO, the System Drive should be for the OS, the whole OS, and nothing but the OS -- all of your data should be on separate drives from the System Drive.

I don't back up data using Windows Server Backup; I use RoboCopy commands in CMD scripts to copy data to backup drives.

I feel the best way to ensure Bare Metal Restore capability is to keep the OS drive as clean as possible. That way, the backup program has the best chance of success.

KydDynoMyte

I have the OS drive and then two 3TB drives partitioned into 1TB each for a duplicated data pool & 2TB each for a duplicated client backup pool. I guess I didn't have to make the Pools on C: but I am trying to keep the drive letters down. They just appear to be links/shortcuts to the actual drives/pools/data and not realy on C:. But I get what you are saying and that might be the cause of my problem for all I know. It really seams that "System State" selection is the one causing the problem. It defaults to being checked when you check for it to do a Bare Metal Restore. Anyone else have a problem with "System State" being checked? Should moving my Pools off of C: fix the "System State" problem? Should I be able to do a successful Bare Metal Restore without the "System State" checked? It's currently at 52% backing up everything I think I want (the OS/Boot Drive and both partitions on one of the physical drives in the pools) except that "System State" I am unsure about. UPS just delivered my Oculus Rift so I don't know how much more attention this Server Backup is going to get this weekend anyway if it completes as it is now. :)