RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Free hyper-v 2012 questions

Unguided

Not sure if this goes here, so please move if necessary. Am I missing something? I realize that the free hyper-v server does not have a "gui" but I thought you could manage it through RSAT kind of like esxi is with its client. Meaning you could create vm's etc from RSAT. Is this not the case and if not can someone please help me understand the use case for RSAT? Im leaning toward the essentials 2012 r2 with hyper-v but thought I could start playing with vm's in a test environment until R2 is released. Thanks in advance for the help.

I've been playing with the free Hyper-V for the last few weeks.  Once the initial installation/configuration is complete on the host, you can indeed manage it remotely, create vm's, etc. using RSAT tools.  In fact, it's designed for exactly that scenario.  However, you have to use a Win8 client or another Server 2012 product to do so, at least to get full functionality.  My understanding is the Win7/Server 2008 RSAT tools won't work, or at least not completely.  There are also some 3rd party management tools out there for both remote and local host management, but generally speaking functionality is limited in my experience (at least with the free tools out there).

Edit:  Let me clarify one thing.  You will need Hyper-V Manager installed in your remote management client to work with the VMs (create, edit, delete, move, etc).  I don't think you can do that directly from Server Manager, but you can launch Hyper-V manager from within Server Manager.  For Win8 client OS, you have to go in and enable the Hyper-V components to get it installed.

Edited by ktide1

I thought I had RSAT understood but then read that you had to do everything from the console using powershell. I believe you can download the components if you do not have them natively. Meaning win8 vs win8 pro? Thank you very much for the response.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to download RSAT for Windows 8, install that, and then load the HyperV management console. You also have to enable remote management on the Hyper V Server 2012 host.