RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3rd time is not a charm

geek-accountant

" To install from scratch takes from 1 to 2 days."

On what a Casio calculator watch?  :)  

"I am even considering going with a Linux server instead."

Its out there, its free, its runs the top businesses & web sites of the world, WHY NOT TRY IT?   I could give stats & examples but the best thing about *nix OS's is it made computing interesting again & fun for me.  So much new tech to try & zero investment.    Even if you have run it in the past give it a shot at replacing the duties on the server that failed and see how it stacks up.   I believe R2 comes out on Oct - 18th.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• Technogod

• FiLiNuX

I am considering 2012 Essentials, but want to wait until R2 comes out.  BTW, when does it come out?

Although I am wondering if I should go with Server 2012R2 and just enable the Essentials roles.

October 18th. I have been playing with the preview version on a VM and dedicated hardware and I think I like it.  Setting aside the domain thing, the fact the clients have be somewhat reconfigured once they join the domain (not a fan), I really like all the features in it for the enthusiast.  I know that Paul B has done numerous back and restores on it and appreciated the speed boost in the restore.  Going to go slow, but going go.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the problem is in your system and not WHS 2011. I swore up and down for a year that WHS 2011 was causing my corrupted backups when in reality it was a defective RAM stick that never would fail no matter how many times I tested it under Memtest86. Finally there was a hard failure. Replaced RAM and no more corrupted backups.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the problem is in your system and not WHS 2011. I swore up and down for a year that WHS 2011 was causing my corrupted backups when in reality it was a defective RAM stick that never would fail no matter how many times I tested it under Memtest86. Finally there was a hard failure. Replaced RAM and no more corrupted backups.

I would normally agree, but it has happened with 2 different hardware setups (using 3 different storage setups) and 3 different installs.  So while, it could still be hardware in each case, I am not going to waste the time to track it down.  Much easier to just say good bye to WHS and move on to something else.

I agree. If you are having the same problem on totally different hardware something strange is going on. I hope the newer version of Windows Server corrects the problem.

I feel your pain geek-accountant. I too have been bit by a failed/failing WHS2011 bare metal restore to my Windows 8 Pro laptop. I am able to backup to my WHS2011 box with no issues. I blew out my drive to mess around with Windows Server 2012 on my laptop. When I was done, I tried to restore and could not connect to my WHS2011 box. I will save you the steps I did to troubleshoot the issue but I am currently with a WHS2011 box and no option to restore my computers (yes, part of my troubleshooting was trying to restore my workstation (Windows 7 Pro). Frustrated .... yes, surprised .... no. This is Microsoft and like many software companies things break. I work in the IT field so I am use to fixing other people's computer issues.  I am glad for this forum and people who share their information freely and glad to help. This is one reason that I am looking for to the meetup on September 21, 2013. 

I use my WHS2011 box as a file and backup server. What I have done to help protect my data from catastrophic failure of my WHS2011 box is setup a WHS2012E using a HP ProLiant N40L. I had some spare 1TB hard drives which I was able to fill all 4 bays. I used Allway Sync to sync my critical data from both WHS boxes.

This does not protect me from the original problem of a failed restore from my WHS 2011 box, No. Each device (laptop and computer) has Acronis True Home Image and I will setup a backup to my WHS. Is this extreme? Some think yes but as I tell people how valuable is your data and time?

What am I going to do with my WHS2011 box? Once the upgrade to WHS2012E is released, I will upgrade the WHS 2011 box. 

" To install from scratch takes from 1 to 2 days."

On what a Casio calculator watch?   :)  

Nope. Think about it: to install Win7 takes around an hour, to install all the updates takes several hours (install updates, reboot, check for new updates, rinse and repeat). Then, installing Office takes around 30 min. Installing all the Office updates takes at least another hour. Installing Adobe Creative Suite takes around 30 min. Installing its updates takes at least an hour. Installing various other apps and updating takes another 2 to 3 hours. Now, let's start configuring and fine tuning the apps. There goes a few more hours. Oh, installing my monitor calibration software and calibrating my monitors and printers takes 1 to 2 hours. 

It's not a matter of reinstalling an OS -- everything on the computer has to be reinstalled.... and updated ...... and configured & fine tuned.

I can do all of this in less than 30 min. using WHS2011. For me, it's a no-brainer. Heck, even installing just the OS in less than 30 min. instead of an hour is worth it. Add to that all the updates and it's a simple choice.

I feel your pain geek-accountant. I too have been bit by a failed/failing WHS2011 bare metal restore to my Windows 8 Pro laptop. I am able to backup to my WHS2011 box with no issues. I blew out my drive to mess around with Windows Server 2012 on my laptop. When I was done, I tried to restore and could not connect to my WHS2011 box. I will save you the steps I did to troubleshoot the issue but I am currently with a WHS2011 box and no option to restore my computers (yes, part of my troubleshooting was trying to restore my workstation (Windows 7 Pro). Frustrated .... yes, surprised .... no. This is Microsoft and like many software companies things break. I work in the IT field so I am use to fixing other people's computer issues.  I am glad for this forum and people who share their information freely and glad to help. This is one reason that I am looking for to the meetup on September 21, 2013. 

I use my WHS2011 box as a file and backup server. What I have done to help protect my data from catastrophic failure of my WHS2011 box is setup a WHS2012E using a HP ProLiant N40L. I had some spare 1TB hard drives which I was able to fill all 4 bays. I used Allway Sync to sync my critical data from both WHS boxes.

This does not protect me from the original problem of a failed restore from my WHS 2011 box, No. Each device (laptop and computer) has Acronis True Home Image and I will setup a backup to my WHS. Is this extreme? Some think yes but as I tell people how valuable is your data and time?

What am I going to do with my WHS2011 box? Once the upgrade to WHS2012E is released, I will upgrade the WHS 2011 box. 

I've noticed a couple of quirks recently that have caused me restore issues, but I've resolved them:

1. WHS2011 Restore will mostly fail if I leave it on Automatic. What I found was that going into Custom mode and deleting the partitions on the boot HDD and recreating it, without formatting or assigning a drive letter, then restoring will work.

2. most recently, my Win7 box (with an Intel SSD) would not restore even if I did #1. So, I went into Custom, deleted the partition, recreated it as I did in #1, but then I went back and selected Automatic and proceeded. It worked.

I don't know if either of these 'tricks' will work for you, but you might want to give them a shot.

Please note: I'm only talking about problems restoring. If your having trouble backing up to WHS2011 in the first place, that's another issue altogether.

I agree with ikon. Bare Metal Restore has saved me countless hours of having to rebuild my system. It has also protected me from data loss by automatically backing up my system while consuming the least amount of disk space for backups. I've lost two SSD's that died without warning and lost no data. I've tried Acronis and it doesn't even come close to the benefits of WHS 2011.

Man I am glad you are not billing me by the hour for IT work :)   

I am just kidding my friend. I really do not care for BMR but we all have different ideas of whats best and thats a good thing.  A lot of Desktop Linux distro's install a comparable program for all the extra programs you mentioned as add ons in the initial install (Office, Creativity Suite, various Apps,) .

At what point do you say "OK, I have been using this same install for X amount of time and the registry is so clogged up with junk and it is just slow and I need to do a clean install or new backup"?      Usually I find Windows desktop machines need to be reinstalled every 6 months to stay snappy. With new software & new versions coming out fairly quickly as well I would rather fresh install & not just use a old base + upgrades.

" It has also protected me from data loss by automatically backing up my system while consuming the least amount of disk space for backups."

Huh?  Are you comparing size of X backup system overhead vs Y backup system overhead?  I would think backing up UNREPLACEABLE data would use the least amount of disk space.  

"I've lost two SSD's that died without warning and lost no data."

Which is a great argument for backups but not really a testament to BMR.  

Edited by FiLiNuX