RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3rd time is not a charm

geek-accountant

tamathumper

I'm having exactly this problem now, and it started a few days ago.  My server and backups have been working fine for a very long time, but I can't seem to find any reason why they have stopped now.

Backup connection to the server is finicky... then once resolved, Client backups will fail about 30% of the way in..., then WSSBackup stops and has to be restarted.... lather, rinse, repeat.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• Technogod

• pcdoc

tamathumper

Update: I had to do the same as above - e.g. get rid of my previous backups!  Not cool!

I moved all of the previous backup files into a temporary folder, which caused me to have to set up Backup again for my primary client.  Once I did that, the backup completed successfully for the first time in about a week.

• 4 weeks later...
geek-accountant

So it has happened again.  If the 3rd time was not a charm, the 4th time is the end of Windows Home Server for me.  What's the point of backing up if I have to keep deleting the backups in order to get WHS running.  While, I like the bare metal restore, its time for me to find another solution.

I would like to point out that while unRaid does not perform the same task, it has been running almost the same time I created my first WHS.  So far, it has only been shut off 3 times due to power failures or moving of the rack.  Has been rebooted less than 10 times, including the 3 times it was shut down, version upgrades and new hard drives controllers.  Same CPU, RAM, MB, etc and not one crash.  Sure wish my WHS would have been so rock solid after YEARS of use.

While I am going to miss the concept of WHS, it is now dead to me, and we don't leave on good terms.

schoondoggy

While BMR can be a time saver, when I have had the opportunity to recover with it I have chosen to rebuild the OS from scratch.

A clean install is the way to go every time IMHO.  I don't know how much time is really saved doing a restore vs a clean install but I would think the little extra time would be worth it.  Not to mention the resources / space of keeping the backups of the OS.   I do keep a folder full of the latest apps/programs I keep on my machines as well as a steady back up of bookmarks / settings in the same folder so its really easy.  I find most of my OS installs take about 15 minutes or so (some 30) and usually you can be doing other things (like visiting HSS :) while its installing.  

OP any idea what direction you are going to go for a replacement solution?

geek-accountant

I am thinking about giving up on the BMR also, since I think I have used it only once in all the years I have been running WHS.  I am thinking about going with Server 2012R2 once it's released.  I am even considering going with a Linux server instead.

A clean install is the way to go every time IMHO.  I don't know how much time is really saved doing a restore vs a clean install but I would think the little extra time would be worth it.  Not to mention the resources / space of keeping the backups of the OS.   I do keep a folder full of the latest apps/programs I keep on my machines as well as a steady back up of bookmarks / settings in the same folder so its really easy.  I find most of my OS installs take about 15 minutes or so (some 30) and usually you can be doing other things (like visiting HSS :) while its installing.  

OP any idea what direction you are going to go for a replacement solution?

If only it was a little extra time. I can restore a fully configured Windows 7 computer, for example, in less than 30 min., with all the apps. To install from scratch takes from 1 to 2 days.

I am thinking about giving up on the BMR also, since I think I have used it only once in all the years I have been running WHS.  I am thinking about going with Server 2012R2 once it's released.  I am even considering going with a Linux server instead.

Have you considered 2012 Essentials R2?  Server 2012 maybe a challenge after TechNet goes away.  I am switching from 2011 to Essentials R2 when it becomes available.  Not having any issues but I really Hyper V and backup on the same box.

geek-accountant

Have you considered 2012 Essentials R2?  Server 2012 maybe a challenge after TechNet goes away.  I am switching from 2011 to Essentials R2 when it becomes available.  Not having any issues but I really Hyper V and backup on the same box.

I am considering 2012 Essentials, but want to wait until R2 comes out.  BTW, when does it come out?

Although I am wondering if I should go with Server 2012R2 and just enable the Essentials roles.