RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3rd time is not a charm

geek-accountant

geek-accountant

For the 3rd time (once with v1 and now twice with Windows Storage Server), my backups are failing.  The previous two times, the only solution I could find was to remove the computers, delete the backups and start over.  The previous time with WSS was due to the backup drives getting almost completely full.  This time however, there is plenty of room left (nearly 1TB).

What's happening is the cleanup process fails every time (have run manually and still doesn't work) and the Service "WSS_ComputerBackupSvc" has stopped.  I can manually restart it, manually start a backup and it will go to somewhere between 4% and 10% before it stops again.

I have run chkdsk on all the drives and run the Repair Backups Tool and neither found any problems.  So I am back to needing to remove all the computers and deleting all the backups and starting over.  Makes me wonder if this is a viable backup solution if I keep needing to delete the backups.  

Below is from the Event Log:

Faulting application name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16400, time stamp: 0x50949597
Faulting module name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16400, time stamp: 0x50949597
Exception code: 0xc0000025
Fault offset: 0x000000000004f888
Faulting process id: 0x1438
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8d87af9eb9ea
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe
Report Id: b4af6aec-f984-11e2-bc8f-1c6f65d5f78c
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• Technogod

• FiLiNuX

Sounds like a bug to me. I would suggest posting this on the Microsoft Connect Site so that a Microsoft engineer would look into it.

Have you installed the hotfix that allows support for UEFI systems ? If not, give that a try. If you already have the hotfix installed, then try uninstalling it and see if the error clears up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781274

geek-accountant

This one has been reported many times.  When I did a search for the issue, I founds a lot of people on the MS site with the same issue.  In almost every case, the only solution they found was to delete all the backups and start over.  I did that last night.

I need to come up with a better plan than relying on WHS given all the times it has failed me.  

Technogod

I had this same problem with intermittent corrupted databases. Ran memtest86 multiple times with no errors. Finally my RAM failed and memtest86 found the error. Replaced the RAM and haven't had the error since. If I remember correctly I was experiencing some intermittent blue screens as well.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble GA. I wish I could offer some advice but I haven't had this issue (not yet anyway).

geek-accountant

The last time it happened was because the free space on the drive got to low and I guess the cleanup function wouldn't work.  This time, I have over 1TB of free space, so that's not the problem.  Other than the database problem, the system runs fine and never crashes.  It's also our file server for the house and does that job just fine.  The only thing not working well is the backup function, which was the main point of the server.  Now that I have deleted the database again, I suspect it will work fine for another year or so before dieing again.  Next time it dies, so does WHS for me.

What devices or system are you backing up to?  Is the same destination you have been using?  Any chance that this could be hardware related and corrupting files?

geek-accountant

The first time, it was an internal single 2TB drive.  The second time it was an interal RAID 5 array using the MB for RAID.  I had 3 1.5TB drives in the RAID 5 array.  What I am using now is a Mediasonic RAID inclosure running RAID 5.  The enclosure has 4 1.5TB drives in it.

I have another Mediasonic RAID enclosure connected to the server with 4 2TB drives in it and use that space as the network file server.  Crashplan is running on the server backing up everything on the network file server enclosure.  Both enclosures have been running for a year+ without any issues that I am aware of at the moment.  They are connected to the server via USB 3.0.

The first time, it was an internal single 2TB drive.  The second time it was an interal RAID 5 array using the MB for RAID.  I had 3 1.5TB drives in the RAID 5 array.  What I am using now is a Mediasonic RAID inclosure running RAID 5.  The enclosure has 4 1.5TB drives in it.

I have another Mediasonic RAID enclosure connected to the server with 4 2TB drives in it and use that space as the network file server.  Crashplan is running on the server backing up everything on the network file server enclosure.  Both enclosures have been running for a year+ without any issues that I am aware of at the moment.  They are connected to the server via USB 3.0.

Just a thought.   Seems like something is corrupting along the way but it sounds like it is probably not hardware.  What about the server hardware itself, is that the same?  Does this happen to a specific client, random, or the whole service goes crazy and no client backup?

geek-accountant

The last two issues have been with the same hardware, except the Mediasonic enclosure.  The first issue was with different hardware.  What happens is the backup service just stops working, so I can't determine if it is a specific computer's backup.  The cleanup process stops being able to cleanup the backups and the repair tool finds no issues.