RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows server backup vs Acronis

Pancakes

Using the built in Windows Server backup, can you restore it even once a drive fails?

I am not interested in backing up files, only full system images

Would I be better off using Acronis?

In my opinion...yes.

I use both, Acronis TrueImage and WHS2011.  

I've found that Acronis is MUCH faster in both backup/restore but it's awkward to have to use their bootable .iso to do the images often.

Typically I do an Acronis full system image on the first of the month, then WHS2011 does backups every other day on average.

I don't install the Acronis app to the system because of how it messes with the bootloader.  I prefer to keep my OS installs isolated (on separate drives) each with their own native bootloaders.

I use Windows Server Backup, but I only back up the OS drive. Of course, it's an image backup. In the case of a failed OS drive, the only stipulation I've found is that the replacement drive is at least as large as the original one.

I've restored from the backups numerous times and it was easy and straight forward. I like that I only need the original WHS2011 Installation Disc to do a restore.

I have nothing against Acronis; I just find Windows Server Backup easier for me.

I suggest you try both; choose the one you find easiest for you.

I use Windows Server Backup, but I only back up the OS drive. Of course, it's an image backup. In the case of a failed OS drive, the only stipulation I've found is that the replacement drive is at least as large as the original one.

I've restored from the backups numerous times and it was easy and straight forward. I like that I only need the original WHS2011 Installation Disc to do a restore.

I have nothing against Acronis; I just find Windows Server Backup easier for me.

I suggest you try both; choose the one you find easiest for you.

What about from WS2012E? Same thing regarding backups?