RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add-In update (using Add-In Central) issue

theseeker

I was trying to update the 'Advanced Admin Console AddIn' from within the 'Add-In Central' which downloaded 0.5.2 of that plug-in overwriting the existing version of 0.5.0. Now, when I try to install 0.5.2 it fails b/c I still have it installed; and when I try to uninstall 0.5.0, it fails b/c the .msi file is the new one. How am I going to get out of this situation? I can't install the new version and I can't uninstall the old version; and I can't even download the old version since the web site only has the new one for download.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Urs

If required, I could email you 0.5.0. I always keep the old versions in case I want to revert back. I suggest you delete the new file from your server and reboot. Then try to uninstall the add-in. Then go back and download the update.

Check your previous versions, if you are quick, the old one should still be there.

Or one of us can send it to you, ITTOG has dibs.

@theseeker I was having the exact same problem with Add In Central and the new (0.5.2) ver. of Advanced Admin Console.
I ended up RDP into my server, opened up the Control panel, go to Add / Remove programs uninstall 0.5.0 from there, then re-install 0.5.2 from the AddIn tab in the settings window in the console.
It worked for me.

yes that fixed it, you can go to the control panel from within the adv admin addin as well, and uninstall it from there, but you may have to reboot the box, so that the add-ins screen realizes that it got removed.

theseeker,
I don't believe that you need to have the old addin in the addins folder to do a uninstall. I have installed addins and then deleted them all from my addin folder and was able to uninstall whichever one I chose. There could be an issue if the uninstaller part of the addin was badly written and it leaves stuff behind and you get an error when you open the Console. If that's the case, I like to use asoft's addin cleanup utility. http://www.asoft.be/prod_addincleanup.html