RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you guys have your accounts configured?

Pancakes

Now that I'm starting to understand all of this, I want to change my user accounts.

Currently I am an admin account, and I use that for everything. And then I have another account for girlfriend.

I want to change to having 2 standard accounts and then an admin account

How can i go about renaming it, will changing it ruin everything and give me a headache? and what is the best practice? 

Edited by Pancakes

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Pancakes

Top Posters In This Topic

1. create a new Admin account.
  2. test the new Admin account. Make sure you can log out and in with it. This is really important; you don't want to lose Administrative capability.
  3. in the properties for your current account, remove it from the Administrators Group and add it to Power Users or Users, depending on how much power you want it to have.

There are a lot of different kinds of accounts, each with its own privileges, but Power Users and Users are the 2 most common ones.

Depending on the app, they may run using the System account. I would try installing apps using the account that you want to use to run them normally. Any apps that won't run properly using the normal account, try installing them using the new Admin account.

Would would this work

Rename my current account to "System Admin" or something, then make 2 new accounts for me, 1 admin and 1 normal

would renaming the account mess up the apps running?

You could do that. I don't see how renaming the account will mess up the apps. I could be wrong, but nothing bad comes to mind right away.

Oops. My bad. Go back, delete the new accounts (be sure to retain at least 1 Admin account) and then add them back using the DashBoard. My apologies; I just forgot about it.