RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

What are good RAID cards for an N40L?

g725s
g725s

Setting up the P410 w/512gb BBWC in my N40L today.  I'm not sure I'm having the same issues as Lonewolf had.  I'm going to have to read over the various modded BIOS setup topics again as I did them over a year ago while reading the various posts here and see exactly what I changed in the BIOS.

Prior to installing the P410 I thought I had enabled all the features that the bios-mods BIOS had unhidden; full 3gbps on the ODD connection, hot swap on the drive bays, and port multiplication on the external eSATA.

As I had had my Microserver setup with WHS 2011 with the bios-mods BIOS prior to the P410, I had already moved the 250gb OS drive to the ODD connection that I had enabled 3gbps.  Without changing

the previously modified BIOS setting I pulled the other data drives, I had previously installed, and put in four 4tb Hitachi 5700rpm Coolspins.  Installing the P410 I confirmed it has the latest 6.0 firmware, and I installed the Smart Array Configuration Utility in WHS 2011.

I have tried setting up both RAID 5 and RAID 1 via the P410 and Windows Disk Management and they both appear to be working fine.  I did not let RAID 5 complete its parity setup as that might take days, but it was doing it before I setup RAID 1 to test that.

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

If you have a good UPS on your server with software to do a graceful shut down, you can use the ACU to turn on the write cache for the drives, that should get you a bit more performance. Only turn it on if you have a properly functioning UPS.

g725s

Can anyone post a list of known HP Smart Array controllers what work with the G7 MicroServer?  I know that my P410 does, and I read that a P212 does.  What others work in a G7 MicroServer?