RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

What are good RAID cards for an N40L?

g725s

I'm really wishing I'd have purchased the P212 over the P410.  I trying to read the manual to determine what the differences are between the two cards other than the external connector.  I tried PM'ing LoneWolf here since he used a P212 in his microserver and see if i can get more details on his setup and using the modded BIOS. Anyone researched these two and would be kind enough to share your thoughts on the differences? 

I just found some posts out there about the P212 in the N36L and N40L microserver.  There is a guy who goes by the username at other forums called "TheBay" http://microserver.wikia.com/wiki/HP_Microserver_N36L/N40L/N56L_-_Enhanced_BIOS_Wiki  He is one that made one of the first ever modded BIOS's for the Microserver.  He posted over at another forum that he used a P212 in his microserver's with no problems at all.  I'm sure since he did a BIOS mod that he probably use his modded BIOS.  I need to search a bit and see what his exact setup might have been.  But I really like to option of having an external connector on the RAID card like the P212.

Here is a post he made about using the P212 in a Microserver: http://forums.servethehome.com/raid-controllers-host-bus-adapters/1659-hp-raid-controllers-intel-2600gz-platform-p212-p420.html

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

Have you tried the P410 in your server?

BooyaK

Hi all

Just my 2 cents as well..

I am using the P410 Smart Array Controller with 512MB FBWC and capacitor and found it to be a good solution.

However at the moment, trying to sort through some issues with the controller - possibly faulty - organising a replacement to see it that is it (worked for over a yeah, then started acting strange)

Im running 4 x 2TB SATA drives in he external cage and an OCZ Vertex SSD off the ODD connector in AHCI mode - with modded BIOS (have used both TheBay and diehard enhanced BIOSs

Cheers

Edited by BooyaK

g725s

Hi all

Just my 2 cents as well..

I am using the P410 Smart Array Controller with 512MB FBWC and capacitor and found it to be a good solution.

However at the moment, trying to sort through some issues with the controller - possibly faulty - organizing a replacement to see it that is it (worked for over a year, then started acting strange)

Im running 4 x 2TB SATA drives in the internal cage and an OCZ Vertex SSD off the ODD connector in AHCI mode - with modded BIOS (have used both TheBay and diehard enhanced BIOSs

Cheers

What is the strangeness specifically?  And if it worked for over a year and then something messed up I would think it is an isolated incident.  And I think you are saying "4x2tb SATA drives in the internal cage" right?  What RAID are you running?

Have you been able to try the external eSATA with an enclosure where it recognizes multiple drives?

Curious what you thought of the two BIOS's?  You could answer that in the Diehard thread if you like as not to get off track here.

Edited by g725s

BooyaK

Hi g725s

You are correct, sorry for the typos / confusion  - RAID 5 in the internal 4 bays.:-)

I don't have an external cage (or the mini 4 x 2.5" internal one) sorry, have only used the onboard eSATA once for an external Seagate drive.

I created a separate thread on

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5944-n36l-and-smart-array-p410-not-recognized-anymore/

Not really fussed about the BIOS's (both suit my needs for using the ODD in AHCI SATA mode) - was used more as a diagnostic measure hoping the card would be recognised again.

Have tried various methods / settings to see if it could be recognised again, but no joy. My initial thought was that it was a bad flash i.e. went to v6.00 from 5.70 a few weeks ago (and saw the HP advisory as part of my research and then downgraded back), but methinks that it could be coincidental and perhaps a bad card - well in some type of locked state as mentioned in my other post (DS1 led is on and the cache module LEDs OK)

Cheers

ikon

If you've tried the card in more than 1 computer, and it does the same thing in both, then it begins to seem like a bad card, doesn't it?

g725s

Would anyone know if I could get a cable that I could hook to the second connector on P410 controller and run that outside the case to a drive enclosure?

schoondoggy

yes, the internal connection is a sff8087 the external connections tend to be sff8088.

Those cables are available.

ikon

You should be able to get a cable at monoprice.com or newegg.com.

g725s

yes, the internal connection is a sff8087 the external connections tend to be sff8088.

Those cables are available.

So something like this should work for that enclosure you posted above?:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025411&p_id=8197&seq=1&format=2

2m 28AWG External Mini SAS 26pin (SFF-8088) Male to Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male Cable

how would the number of pins affect data transfer?

I would like to ask of those who have knowledge of RAID controller cards like the P410 or P212.  Would the cache module and battery benefit using the controller in RAID 1, or is strictly for RAID 5?

Edited by g725s