RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

What are good RAID cards for an N40L?

ikon

IIRC, you can only have multiplication on the eSATA port with the modified BIOS.

schoondoggy

I would like to keep the Modified BIOS mostly for the eSATA port multiplication for future expansion.  The ODD SATA at full speed is a good feature too.

However, I have read a post by LoneWolf where I think he is saying that you cannot use the eSATA port multiplication with the modified BIOS.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  I've sent a PM to him to get clarification.

The ODD SATA port with the Mod BIOS is running at SATA II speed 3Gb/s.

g725s

IIRC, you can only have multiplication on the eSATA port with the modified BIOS.

I am aware of that.  I should have been more specific as it relates to the HP P410 Smart Array Controller.  In a post by Lonewolf here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4727-successfully-enabled-port-multiplier-on-esata/page-2#entry51004

I think he is saying that you cannot use the modded BIOS with the P410 and have the port multiplication on the eSATA also as it disables the BIOS to see the RAID 5 array.  I have sent him a PM to get more clarification on this.

Edited by g725s

ikon

Yeah, I believe you're right; the P410 doesn't work properly with the modded BIOS.

g725s

Well that sucks.  I need to research a card that does.  And send back the one I just bought. :(

And look into the HP Smart Array P212 and see if anyone has done what Lonewolf assuming with the external connection on the back of that card.  Here is a quote Lonewolf made in the thread I linked to above: "if hardware RAID-5 is what you're wanting and you want an external option, you probably want (note: I haven't tried this) an HP Smart Array P212 controller, which has one internal Mini-SAS port (to hook up the Microserver's backplane) and one external port (you'll need to buy an HP-specific) cable for it to hook up an enclosure."

But I would need to research that cable and find out if an enclosure was attached will it take more than one drive.

What other options do you think I might pursue if I wanted to attach an external enclosure and keep the benifits of the modified BIOS?  I should say that I might want to have a Remote Access Card in the future too, so that would take up the other slot on the motherboard.

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

The P212 is in the same family as the P410, same firmware and drivers. Like the P410 the P212 is SAS 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s.

If the P410 has issues with mod BIOS, I assume the P212 will also.

This type of enclosure should work for the external SAS connection on the P212;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111183

From this thread, I did not realize you wanted external drives. I would not have recommended the P410 had I known that.

Maybe it would be a good idea to give us the scope of what you are trying to achieve.

What are you going to use the server for?

How much storage do you need?

What hardware do you already own?

My Adaptec 3405 works perfectly in my N40L.

Are you able to get into the Adaptec BIOS during boot?

fredaroony

The P212 is in the same family as the P410, same firmware and drivers. Like the P410 the P212 is SAS 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s.

From this thread, I did not realize you wanted external drives. I would not have recommended the P410 had I known that.

Maybe it would be a good idea to give us the scope of what you are trying to achieve.

Are you able to get into the Adaptec BIOS during boot?

Yes, never had a problem with that. I just moved the card into my Gen8 though.

g725s

I just assumed there would not be a problem with a RAID card and the modified BIOS.

I mainly want to have my server maintain my media collection; mkv dvd / blue ray rips, recorded TV, and FLAC / MP3 files, etc.  I will store other sensitive files there but those will be backed up elsewhere.  And a place that my family can put files for me to backup.

I currently have 4tb +/- of media only limited by not having this server running.  I should easily be able to double that in the next half a year or so once I get this rolling, as I don't have much free time to rip dvd's, so at least a half year to get to 8tb. I feel I could eventually use more than 12tb's and therefore would like the ability to add more drives when needed. 

I would consider RAID 1 but know that I would max out my drives soon if I did.  So I think that RAID 5 might be best for my particular situation.  But I am still considering RAID 1 ( controller card, or off the board itself).

I will be using WHS 2011 for now.

Yes I would like full speed on the ODD SATA port. 

And I would like the eSATA to have full speed and port multiplier enabled so that I could add an eSATA enclosure so I could add more drive space in the future if wanted. (but if the HP 212 would remedy this I would be OK I guess)

dengar69

Yes, never had a problem with that. I just moved the card into my Gen8 though.

Which card did you move?  The P410 or P212?  How is it running?

schoondoggy

Which card did you move?  The P410 or P212?  How is it running?

If you go back the the third post on the first page;

Adaptec 3405