RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

What are good RAID cards for an N40L?

schoondoggy

Not sure if you can see it, but it is under the ODD;

ypdp.jpg

ikon

LOL, ya need to block out that headlight to get the background to show up :)

g725s

I have not tried the P410 with the Mod BIOS, I think some have successfully.

I usually end up with a P410 512MB and battery for $160.

You want to find a low profile card. There are several on eBay currently with 256MB for under $100. You would still want to add the battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-462919-001-Smart-Array-P410-256MB-SAS-PCIe-x8-RAID-Low-Profile-SFF-462862-B21-/370860083308?pt=US_Server_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item5658fbc86c

For the price of the battery you could get a 512MB module, cable and battery;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/462967-B21-HP-512MB-BBWC-KIT-FOR-P212-P411-P410-PROLIANT-DL360-DL380-G6-/281110814760?pt=US_Server_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item417382a028

Just do a eBay search for HP P410.

The issues I had with LSI and Adaptec was that I was unable to enter the controllers BIOS during boot.

If I booted off a separate drive, I could configure the controller from the OS based tools.

The connector for the 4 bay plugs directly into the P410.

One thing the note, the P410 runs SAS drives at 6Gb/s, but SATA at 3Gb/s. In my other post you can see the benchmarks.

I see cards like that on eBay but they don't specifically say they come with the cache module even though the pics shows one.  Guess I need to email the seller and see...

And just curious...What would be the purpose of having more cache onboard?

Edited by g725s

g725s

Heck, I just went with the ones you posted schoondoggy.  Still learning but I think that hardware RAID is the best call for my dedicated server.  Thanks to all of you for your help.  Will  check back once they arrive in the mail B)

Now can you still use, or would you want to use, a product like DrivePool with hardware RAID?

Edited by g725s

ikon

Not sure what point there would be to using drive pooling software on top of a hardware RAID array. The array is going to show up as a single drive anyway, so what would the software pool together? I sure wouldn't recommend pooling RAIDed and non-RAIDed drives together.

g725s

Not sure what point there would be to using drive pooling software on top of a hardware RAID array. The array is going to show up as a single drive anyway, so what would the software pool together? I sure wouldn't recommend pooling RAIDed and non-RAIDed drives together.

I did not know that it would show up as one drive.  That clears that up.  Thanks!

Edited by g725s

ikon

Yeah, a RAID card does a similar thing to drive pooling software, in that it groups drives together and makes them look like a single larger drive. One difference between hardware and software is that hardware RAID, at least RAID 1, 3, & 5, requires that each drive be the same size. Even better, they should be the same make & model. It is a limitation of hardware RAID, but it has proven to be very reliable over many years.

g725s

All four of my storage drives are the same.  4tb HGST 5700rpm Coolspins.  Thanks for your help.  Can't wait to eventually get this all running smoothly.

ikon

Sounds like a great RAID5 config. Please post back when you get around to setting it up.

g725s

I would like to keep the Modified BIOS mostly for the eSATA port multiplication for future expansion.  The ODD SATA at full speed is a good feature too.

However, I have read a post by LoneWolf where I think he is saying that you cannot use the eSATA port multiplication with the modified BIOS.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  I've sent a PM to him to get clarification.