RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Make a Domain without interrupting local profiles?

Pancakes

Is it possible to join my PC's to the domain and now have it make a new profile? I want everything to be the same, but its on the domain

and then what happens when I am outside of my home network? can i still login with the same user account? 

Question 1: unfortunately, no. Joining a Domain will create a new profile. MS does have a utility to migrate an existing non-Domain account, but I will admit it is not perfect. The Transfer Wizard can also be used, but it, too, is not 100%.

Question 2: yes, you can still log in. Your login will be verified using cached credentials. The only caveat is that you have to have logged in at least once to the Domain (so the credentials can be cached) before trying to do it when disconnected from the Domain.

Perhaps others can offer some other options.

I'd rather just re-make it then, I'm starting to think I would like to make a domain

Another question though, My laptop and my desktop have the same User Name and password, would this be an issue? 

Awesome, I might just make the switch then. It will help with getting familiar with AD too

Just copy the contents over from the old local user directory to the new domain user directory... You won't even know the difference. :)

That can be dangerous JayBee: for example, if you copy over the user's Registry hive files; things like NTUSER.DAT.

Someone else please chime in; I haven't migrated a Local account to a Domain in a while.

Usually windows will whinge if you try and copy such things, I presumed people here would know better. Just grab what you need, desktop shortcuts/favourites/photos/videos/mydocuments etc. Leave things like the apdata folder alone unless you need something specific like outlook .pst's.

That may well be true, but I'm always concerned about new visitors who may not be so knowledgeable. I usually recommend the migration wizard to avoid such issues..