RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

$464.99 G2020T HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer @Newegg

itGeeks

Joe_Miner - Your killing me, I thought Mike pcdoc cost me every month after listing to his show but you climbing up the ladder :P I may just have to pull the trigger on this deal even though I don't know what I will do with it yet. :D Ok so is it true we can upgrade the CPU to something like a Core i5 if we want? I just wish I knew hew made some of these cases for HP and Synology so I could just purchase some of these nice looking cases and just build my own because by the time you get done purchasing the G8 and doing all the CPU and Memory upgrades I still think you could build your own from the start cheaper. what's your thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Mr Fixit

ikon

Don't be surprised if HP is having the cases custom built by some sheet metal fabricator. I remember doing work for Gandalf years ago, and they had their own fabricator who built all their chassis.

schoondoggy

Joe_Miner - Your killing me, I thought Mike pcdoc cost me every month after listing to his show but you climbing up the ladder :P I may just have to pull the trigger on this deal even though I don't know what I will do with it yet. :D Ok so is it true we can upgrade the CPU to something like a Core i5 if we want? I just wish I knew hew made some of these cases for HP and Synology so I could just purchase some of these nice looking cases and just build my own because by the time you get done purchasing the G8 and doing all the CPU and Memory upgrades I still think you could build your own from the start cheaper. what's your thoughts?

Thanks

The i5 should work, but you will lose ECC memory support. I am not sure how the BIOS would handle a CPU without ECC support.The MicroServer gives you a lot for the money, but there are limitations. Building your own gives more flexibility. Fractal cases are a good place to start.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Thanks

The only CPU's that I've seen so far that someone had upgrade with is the Xenon E3-1265L V2 @ 45TDP and the Xenon E3-1230V2 @ 69TDP  

..... but 69W TDP on the E3-1230V2 worries me and I'd need to see some temps after running Prime95 all night that looked OK

If you're thinking you'd prefer to upgrade the CPU I would suggest WAITING (this is only my humble opinion): 

• to see what else people upgrade with and they have some significant run time without issues
  • Also, If I was thinking of upgrading the CPU I'd be looking for a big sale (maybe a Shell Shocker) on the G1610T Gen8's -- why pay for a G2020T if you're going to yank out the CPU?
  • I think I would like to see if BIOS-MODS find anything GotCha in the BIOS too before I moved too far down this road

I think Schoondoggy is right about getting a lot more flexibility if you build your own.  Personally I like the Lian-Li cases too.

Keep an eye out on deals -- Newegg in particular likes to slide in a Shell Shocker from time to time but they also like to post discount codes on twitter to see if we're reading their tweets.

BTW: Schoondoggy has become a bad influence to me -- he's always finding these incredible deals that just make me want to buy more Tech  ;)

itGeeks

schoondoggy,

Thanks for the info, I have used Fractal cases for many builds and they are really nice, My last build for a family member I used the Fractal Devine R4 and it was beautiful case.