RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GEN8 : Memory (NON)-ECC

Thanks for fast reply! So you propose to buy an 4GB+4GB to run as Dual channel and have total 8GB or to have 10GB total and have issues with speed?

Whats the differences between Dual Channel and not, do you know?

What would you do in my occasion?

Confused!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• Dvampoul

• ikon

• codedmind

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick update on this one:   Samsung Model M391B1G73QH0-YK0 (1.35V) fully functional.   Also, lots of 2 and 8GB ECC unbuffered 1866MHz DIMMS proved to work. Should it be of intereset, I'll dig the li

It appears that should work, as it is unbuffered and ECC The MS Gen8 does not require HP branded memory.

MS Gen8 only supports 8GB UDIMMS

Posted Images

schoondoggy

Thanks for fast reply! So you propose to buy an 4GB+4GB to run as Dual channel and have total 8GB or to have 10GB total and have issues with speed?

Whats the differences between Dual Channel and not, do you know?

What would you do in my occasion?

Confused!!!

I would get it up to 16GB as soon as feasible. I would buy a 8GB module and run it with the 2GB for a total of 10GB.

Dual channel is only helpful on high bandwidth memory needs.

That was my first thought! I think that 10GB should be fine! I dont think i have such memory needs yet! Appreciate much your fast response!

Also sorry asking you again! That HP servers has a BIOS feature that checks Memmory Dimms to check for compatibility! Will i have any issues with that?

schoondoggy

That was my first thought! I think that 10GB should be fine! I dont think i have such memory needs yet! Appreciate much your fast response!

Also sorry asking you again! That HP servers has a BIOS feature that checks Memmory Dimms to check for compatibility! Will i have any issues with that?

I am using non hp memory and I have not had an issue.

Welcome to the HSS Forums!

Ok i am already in progress finding the best 8GB for my HP! Thanks you for your valuable help!

GotNoTime

I'm using 2x Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G with no problems.

It will say No for HP Smart Memory in iLO System Information - Memory Information and you'll get "POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM x could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active." for each DIMM in the Integrated Management Log and on the screen when you cold boot the server.

The only real issue is minor and that is if you have AlertMail configured. You'll get an email with the POST information line above for each DIMM.

It will say No for HP Smart Memory in iLO System Information - Memory Information and you'll get "POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM x could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active." for each DIMM in the Integrated Management Log and on the screen when you cold boot the server.

The only real issue is minor and that is if you have AlertMail configured. You'll get an email with the POST information line above for each DIMM.

Hello My friend. I have no issues with Alertmail since haven't configured and will not work as is a HOME Server but the think that i want to know is about operating frequencey MHz

If buy and install a NON-HP Memory could i via iLO to see Temperature e.t.c as with the SmartMemmory ? Also i have the 2GB (1600MHz) if i buy another vendor RAM (eg. Kingston) in 1600MHz does both memories (HP & Kingston) to operate both in 1600MHz?

GotNoTime

If buy and install a NON-HP Memory could i via iLO to see Temperature e.t.c as with the SmartMemmory ?

The Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G show a temperature reading in iLO but I suspect that iLO is just reading a value from a sensor on the motherboard itself and not the DIMMs as there is only 1 reading and I'm not sure these DIMMs even have a sensor.

Also i have the 2GB (1600MHz) if i buy another vendor RAM (eg. Kingston) in 1600MHz does both memories (HP & Kingston) to operate both in 1600MHz?

If you want to do dual channel then it is generally recommended that you buy the same model DIMM for each channel. If you're not able to do this then make sure all of the various timings are exactly the same. Edited by GotNoTime

The Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G show a temperature reading in iLO but I suspect that iLO is just reading a value from a sensor on the motherboard itself and not the DIMMs as there is only 1 reading and I'm not sure these DIMMs even have a sensor.

If you want to do dual channel then it is generally recommended that you buy the same model DIMM for each channel. If you're not able to do this then make sure all of the various timings are exactly the same.

Hi. So except the notification that is a non HP SmartMemory no other issues. Right?

Can i make a dual channel with preinstalled 2GB? If i buy same DIMM from HP? TO make 2GB + 8GB a dual channel and working on 1600MHz?

GotNoTime

Hi. So except the notification that is a non HP SmartMemory no other issues. Right?

Yes. There is no disadvantage to having non-HP memory in the gen 8 microserver apart from the IMS record and the AlertMail emails.

Can i make a dual channel with preinstalled 2GB? If i buy same DIMM from HP? TO make 2GB + 8GB a dual channel and working on 1600MHz?

The Intel Flex Memory feature lets it do dual channel with mismatched size DIMMs up to the size of the smallest DIMM. The remainder of the larger DIMM is accessed in single channel mode. You're unlikely to actually notice the difference with and without dual channel memory though unless you're running a benchmarking program that is testing memory bandwidth.

Edited by GotNoTime