RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wwindowwss

GEN8 : Memory (NON)-ECC

ikon

My thoughts were to see if I can wedge in one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

I have an extra one and the radiator MIGHT be just small enough to fit at the back with the 160mm exhaust fan.

Good luck getting that in. I'm not sure it's a great idea anyway. That will provide great cooling for the CPU, but what about the other components, like hard drives?

Pancakes

I don't understand why you would want that, it will give a bit better cooling to the CPU, but what if the pump fails? nothing can break on a heatsink

There is a reason why there are not many watercooled servers

brentpresley

I don't understand why you would want that, it will give a bit better cooling to the CPU, but what if the pump fails? nothing can break on a heatsink

There is a reason why there are not many watercooled servers

There is no pump.  :)

That is a completely enclosed, non-conductable, cooled system.

I deploy a LOT of hardware, and am one of the owners of a hardware review site (www.xcpus.com), pushing the limits is pretty much what I do.

Plus, this is a home server.  No sys admin is going to deploy this thing for anything bigger than a small business. . .  at best.  There is simply no redundancy built into this these boxes to make them reasonable for real Datacenter Server workloads and uptime requirements.

Pancakes

There is no pump.   :)

That is a completely enclosed, non-conductable, cooled system.

I deploy a LOT of hardware, and am one of the owners of a hardware review site (www.xcpus.com), pushing the limits is pretty much what I do.

Plus, this is a home server.  No sys admin is going to deploy this thing for anything bigger than a small business. . .  at best.  There is simply no redundancy built into this these boxes to make them reasonable for real Datacenter Server workloads and uptime requirements.

Np pump in a water cooler? How does the water more around then?

Whats this? Looks like a pump to me

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=489&pictureid=2605

And here are people complaining about pump noise...

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=117154

I don't mean to offend, but the reviews you do can't be very good if you did't even realise a water cooling setup needs a pump

And you actually mentioned there was a pump right here: http://www.xcpus.com/reviews/is-bigger-better-corsairs-h110-280mm-all-in-one-is-put-to-the-test/3

Edited by Pancakes

ikon

Like I said, I would worry about the other components. Radiators do impede air flow to some extent.

Pancakes

Like I said, I would worry about the other components. Radiators do impede air flow to some extent.

The tubing would also block a LOT of airflow in such a small case

ikon

You're right about the tubing. I have a Corsair cooler myself in another system and that tubing is not as flexible as it might appear.

FiLiNuX

On the Corsair H60 (most of the smaller corsair setups I have seen actually)the pump / waterblock is  a all in one type deal (that sits on top of the CPU).  Thats what the POWER LEAD going to that is for (not just to light the vendor name).  I am actually a FAN of these little Corsair setups for the $. 

"There is a reason why there are not many watercooled servers "  and in MY opinion that is because;

I don't think it is really as much as issue of a pump failing as CPU cooler fans fail as well but I do agree it adds additional failure points into the mix.  Liquid cooling is a advanced cooling system MOSTLY applied for a few reasons, 1. To provide cooling to parts so they may be run with stability outside of their normal operating range . 2. To provide cooling to parts WITHOUT the noise that comes from fans that could provide the same amount of cooling.  3. To provide cooling to parts while at the same time oozing with NERD-RIFFIC amazing to look at over the top Maximum PC goodness. 4. Liquid cooling almost always takes up more space.  <- None of these are things people running/building production servers USUALLY want in a server.   

Pancakes

"To provide cooling to parts WITHOUT the noise that comes from fans that could provide the same amount of cooling"

I'm not sure I agree with that, sticking a RAD in front on the fan means it sounds slightly louder because of the stuff in front, however with a properly designed aitflow like in the G7, just one fan cools everything anyway. Without more than one fan, and with no pump

so its quieter, but most "Gamers" that have 10000 rads just load up with fans and assume it makes it magically cooler

FiLiNuX

You're right about the tubing. I have a Corsair cooler myself in another system and that tubing is not as flexible as it might appear.

Ikon , how old is the cooler you have?  The reason I ask is older models (I have one running on a workstation right next to me that has been chugging for SEVERAL years) used tubing that had ridges on it and it is pretty stiff.  All the newer models I have put in machines for people have smooth more rubber like tubing that is a LOT more flexible.    

And as normal I am late to the party,  I just noticed you Pancake

already pointed out there was a pump in there. :)

Edited by FiLiNuX