RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wwindowwss

GEN8 : Memory (NON)-ECC

wwindowwss

hi,

has anyone have problems the memory?

I have used different types but always without success.

memory used:

ml5bv5.jpg

schoondoggy

The bottom two modules look like they are registered memory and will not work in the MS G8. I cant read the part number on the top one.

On page 52 in the Users Guide;

The server memory subsystem supports UDIMMs only. UDIMMs represent the most basic type of memory
module and offer lower latency and (relatively) low power consumption, but are limited in capacity.
The server supports dual-rank, PC3-10600E/PC3-12800E (DDR3 ECC) DIMMs operating at 1333 MHz or
1600 MHz speed.
Memory speed depends on the type of processor and the number of DIMMs installed in the server. Installed
DIMMs can operate at either 1600 MT/s or 1333 MT/s. For more information, see the technical
specification of the installed processor.

Unbuffered ECC dual ranked memory is what the system was design for. If you are going to try to get non-ECC to work in it, you should try dual ranked modules that meet the speed requirements listed above.

Edited by schoondoggy

wwindowwss
brentpresley

Hey guys, new to the forum.

Just got a Gen8 and wanted to report some of my RAM for anyone else that might be interested in a similar setup.

Installed 2 of these, works great.

Samsung Green M379B5273DH0-YK0 (2 x 4GB PC3L-12800U-11-11)

http://us.hardware.info/productinfo/163269/samsung-green-ddr3l-1600-8gb-kit

I have 4 x 4TB HDDs en-route and hope that we'll see if the setup can support them.

I also have a few ideas about a cooling solution, but I need to evaluate the interior dimensions of the chassis a bit more.

ikon

Cooling solution for what? From what people have been posting, the G8 MicroServer seems to do a pretty good job of cooling already.

• Like 1

Pancakes

Cooling solution for what? From what people have been posting, the G8 MicroServer seems to do a pretty good job of cooling already.

Exactly, I think adding anything extra will just interrupt the designed airflow

brentpresley

My thoughts were to see if I can wedge in one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

I have an extra one and the radiator MIGHT be just small enough to fit at the back with the 160mm exhaust fan.

brentpresley

Update: looks like that RAM will not work.  The system goes into an endless boot loop