RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Potential CPU upgrade options for Microserver G8

schoondoggy

Rocking this one:

Intel Xeon E3-1265LV2 / 2.5 GHz Processor - LGA1155

Only 10 TDP more, which should not be an issue.

Cheers

Working proof :-)

Hello Gents,

Here are the temp stats, running IP update in loop, without HDs installed yet.

Hi Stevns & welcome to the Forums.  Fantastic postings +1

Looking forward to hearing about your setup.  Thanks for posting.

Is there anything unique to the CPU changeout?  

Pick a socket 1155 CPU. Watch your wattage, the socket is rated for a 35w CPU. Every CPU I have seen someone try has supported ECC memory. We will have to see how the BIOS/Chipset handles non-ECC memory and/or CPU's that don't support ECC memory.

All - so another data point for you - I also have the E3-1265Lv2 installed in my Gen8.  For day-to-day loads runs fine, but running Prime95 stress test did push the temperatures above the maximum TCASE as mentioned at http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/xeon-e3-1200v2-lga1155-thermal-guide.pdf.  I used HW Monitor Pro to grab the CPU temperature numbers, which I'm aware isn't quite the same as the TCASE, but is close.  This is fully loaded with 16GB of 1.5v RAM (note: not low voltage), 4 WD Red's and an SDD in the ODD.  What I found interesting was that the MicroServer sensors that report out to iLO always stayed far lower than what HW Monitor Pro stated.

Of course, Prime95 is not typical usage, and I have never got even close to the maximum TCASE at any other time (running multiple busy VMs under Hyper-V).  So overall I am very happy and don't believe I'm going to have any issues.

In terms of performance, this thing FLIES.  I am very pleased I went for the 4C/8T processor rather than the other 2C/4T E3-1220Lv2.

Nice. I agree that Prime95 is a bit of an extreme test -- very, very few people will ever push their systems to those levels.

I always like to make it pass a good run of Prime95, that means in any situation it will be fine