RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Win 7 (500 GB drive OS) backup fails at 1%

r.mcadams@mchsi.com

Guys, I've read, and read, and read on the forums before posting this question, but can't find an answer.  My daughter's Dell Laptop was corrupted with a nasty virus, so I restored from backups... after restoring three times going all the way back 3 months, I realized all her backups included the virus and all the anti-virus tools I tried couldn't remove it.  SO... I did a complete new build... new Win7 Home Premium, Office 2013, etc.  I Installed the WHS2011 connector like normal, but the backups start and then fail at 1% (15 times).  The only thing non-standard about the installation was that I got a message warning me that there was already a PC with the same name (which I knew) but it said I could continue if this was a replacement machine or something.  I can access the dashboard, Launchpad, etc., no problem.  But the whole POINT of having the WHS2011 is for backups... and this laptop with this exact hardware backed up for several years no problem.  Any ideas?  I'm wondering if the D:\RECOVERY partition has anything to do with it?  found several comments about it, but none of those fixes seemed to affect my situation. Also, this WHS2011 box is daily backing up three other Win 7 Home Premium's laptop/desktops with no issues.  HELP?

I've had issues in the past with backups when there's a recovery partition on the disk that it's trying to back up.  The recovery partition may not have enough room available to create a shadow copy, so the backup fails then.  Try only backing up the C: partition and see if that works.  Then if you want you can go back and see about adding other partitions to the backup and see which one(s) doesn't work properly.

Andne, I think you're on to it!  Thank you SO MUCH!  Oddly enough, when I went in to look at what it was backing up, it showed:

• OS (C:|)(offline)
  • Local Disk (C:\)
  • RECOVERY (d:\)(offline)

and only the OS and RECOVERY were selected.  I deselected both of those, selected Local Disk (C:\) and started a new backup... it's running now, crossing past 6%... Will I be able to restore from just Local Disk (C:\)?  It seems like that's the only one that matters, but I'm not that technical.  Since I did a full rebuild from win 7 disk, the RECOVERY drive is no longer used, right?

See if the laptop had a 100 meg partition. Check Disk Management because it won't have a drive letter.

Then check the Backup profile on the server to see if that 100 meg is included. It could be that the 100meg portion doesn't have enough free space and therefor the backup fails. ( somewhat like what is mentioned in the previous post,)

Try excluding it from the backup and see if the backup completes.

Let us know.

The backup finished successfully with only the Local Disk (C:\) included in the backup.  Is that all I'll need to do a restore?  There's nothing i'm aware of on the other partition.

The best way to check, the only way really, is to restore to a spare drive and see if it's bootable after restoring. If you don't have a spare 2.5" HDD, you could try using the Win7 Backup utility to back up the entire system to an external drive and then try restoring from the WHS backup to the laptop's onboard drive. If it isn't bootable after restoring from WHS, you could restore from the external drive and should be good to go.