RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

MicroServer Gen 8 FBWC for RAID 5

schoondoggy

I think there has been a good deal of confusion around adding a FBWC module to a HP Gen 8 to enhance the Smart Array B120i/ZM that is built into the motherboard. There is a physical clip in the ODD area to attach the capacitor/battery pack for a HP RAID controller and it is labeled FBWC. I have been reviewing the Users Guide and Service manuals and as far as I can tell there is no slot on the HP Gen 8 motherboard to plug in the FBWC module. On page 46 & 47 of the User Guide, installation of the FBWC is referenced as installing it on the storage controller that was installed on page 46. On page 76 of the Service manual it shows the FBWC cable running to a add in storage controller, not the Smart Array B120i/ZM.

I have not set eyes on the Gen 8 yet. If you own one please let me know if I am right or wrong.

It appears to me, if you want RAID 5 on a HP Gen 8, you need to add a RAID controller.

Edited by HSS-Dave
Changed 3 "MS Gen 8" to "HP Gen 8"

Cadd70

The FBWC is for the Optional HP P222/512MB Smart Array Controller.

BooyaK

Hiya

Im interested in this too, given Im looking to eventually upgrade my N36L with a Smart Array P410..

Agreed with the confusion too..

Did some digging around and found this for the embedded B120i

"QuickSpecs HP Dynamic Smart Array Controllers"

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14343_div/14343_div.pdf

But obviously for the FBWC the motherboard may need a connector / header which from the Gen8 Microserver guides as you mentioned doesnt appear to be there. ML/DL/BL series a different story though..

The Gen8 User Guide (1st ed) c03787037.pdf, make it a bit unclear as it mentions on on p45 directly under the paragraph where the B120i is introduced, that the server supports FBWC. But on the next page it then mentions that a Storage Controller needs to be installed and the FBWC and cap pack attached to this on p46/47.

But finally, from the internal pics at

http://blog.themonsta.id.au/exclusive-internal-photos-of-the-hp-microserver-g8-leaked/

and the videos on http://h20464.www2.hp.com/default.htm, it doesnt seem to be there.. grrr..

It would have been handy had they included it on board to save buying an extra RAID adapter + FWBC module.. 

Cheers

gstarks

I can confirm that it is not possible to add the cache to the B120i on the MicroServer Gen8.   The FBWC clip is indeed for when the supported Smart Array P222 is installed.  

• Like 1

ikon

Thanks for sharing. It's good to have the info from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Cadd70

The FBWC comes in the box with the P222 controller. I have installed one in my Gen 8 Microserver, as it gives 6.0Gb/s transfer rates for all four hard drives, as opposed to the standard controller on the board, which only gives the first two drives 6.0Gb/s.

• Like 1

ikon

Out of curiosity, is it possible to create a 6 drive SATA III array by combining 4 drives on the P222 with drives in the 2 SATA III bay slots?

Cadd70

Out of curiosity, is it possible to create a 6 drive SATA III array by combining 4 drives on the P222 with drives in the 2 SATA III bay slots?

Yes you can - here is the capacity of the P222 from the specs. It has an external connector as well so you can run the internal drives and externally attached drives in an array. It can do Raid 0,1+0, 5, 5+0, 6, 6+0 with an advanced key.

Capacity

Given the increasing need for high performance and rapid capacity expansion,

the SA-P222 offers:

• Up to 12TB of internal storage with 4x internal 3TB 3.5" SAS/SATA LFF hard

drives and up to 144TB of external storage with 4x HP D2600 Disk Enclosures and

48 x 3TB 3.5" SAS/SATA LFF hard drives.

• Up to 3.6TB of total storage per controller with 4x internal 900GB SFF SAS

hard drives and 90TB of external storage with 4x HP D2700 Disk Enclosures and

100 x 900GB SFF SAS hard drives.

• Up to 4TB of total storage per controllerwith 4x internal 1TB SFF SATA hard

drives and 100TB of external storage with 4x HP D2700 Disk Enclosures and 100 x

1TB SFF SATA hard drives.

schoondoggy

If all the drives are connected to the P222, then yes. If you are asking if 4 drives on a P222 can be combined with 2 drives on a B120i, then the answer would be no. 

ikon

Yes you can - here is the capacity of the P222 from the specs. It has an external connector as well so you can run the internal drives and externally attached drives in an array. It can do Raid 0,1+0, 5, 5+0, 6, 6+0 with an advanced key.

Capacity

Given the increasing need for high performance and rapid capacity expansion,

the SA-P222 offers:

•  
  • Up to 12TB of internal storage with 4x internal 3TB 3.5" SAS/SATA LFF hard

drives and up to 144TB of external storage with 4x HP D2600 Disk Enclosures and

48 x 3TB 3.5" SAS/SATA LFF hard drives.

•  
  • Up to 3.6TB of total storage per controller with 4x internal 900GB SFF SAS

hard drives and 90TB of external storage with 4x HP D2700 Disk Enclosures and

100 x 900GB SFF SAS hard drives.

•  
  • Up to 4TB of total storage per controllerwith 4x internal 1TB SFF SATA hard

drives and 100TB of external storage with 4x HP D2700 Disk Enclosures and 100 x

1TB SFF SATA hard drives.

If all the drives are connected to the P222, then yes. If you are asking if 4 drives on a P222 can be combined with 2 drives on a B120i, then the answer would be no. 

Cadd70, what schoondoggy mentioned is what I was asking about, so it appears the answer is no. I asked because I worked with some RAID cards many years ago that did allow arrays to 'span' the cards and build larger arrays. For example, most cards in those days only allowed a max of 7 drives. By combining 2 cards you could have up to 14 drives in a single array. I was wondering if the HP RAID cards could do it.