RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DNS Help, Task Manager Help and Plex Media Server Help

Pancakes

This exact problem happens all the time, and I'm going to murder someone if I cant resolve it. All 3 problems in one.

1. Plex Media Server stops responding after around a week

2. I go to end the process and I get Access Denied on MY OWN SERVER. And yes, I am logged into the Admin account.

3. I have to re-boot the server. At this point I am already angry

4. I go to browse the web, and nothing works. This is because it sets my DNS to The server that is now rebooting. Even though I tell it to not to.

So is there anyone who uses Plex that can help me out figuring out WHY its crashing?

Windows Server guys, Is there any way I can make myself able to end MY OWN processes? 

And is there a way to stop it from changing the DNS on my other PC's? I don't see the need to use the DNS from the server and why I can't just have it listed as an alternate server or something. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• itGeeks

• jem101

• Pancakes

Have you tried disabling the DNS service on your server? I presume you are using Server 2012 ? or a variant there of ?

Are you using a domain? Do you have a static IP set up for the server and have your router allocating DHCP or is the server doing that too?

Sounds like your server is getting a new IP from somewhere and that's why Plex stops.

1) Can't really help with why Plex is falling over as I don't use it. I'd completely uninstall it, hack out any registry entries for it, hunt down and delete any hidden files related to it and then do a clean reinstall.

2) How are you killing the process? Just by the normal task manager? A number of processes are locked open in kernel mode and then unfortunately they are not your processes and even admin does not have permissions to kill them. You might try PSKILL (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896683.aspx) which is better at force killing processes.

3) If you can force kill the process by this or any other means then you won't need to reboot.

4) Assuming that you are running a domain then it is essential that the client PCs point to the server for DNS, therefore not being able to browse the web when the server (and hence DNS) is offline is normal.

John 

Pancakes,

1. We can only try and help you with more info, as Renny asked what version of server are you using? It sounds to me like WSE2011 but I don't want to guess here and give you the wrong advice.

2. Did you assign the server a static ip address & set the DNS of the server to itself if this is a domain controller? "This needs to be done no matter what version of server your using"

3. You say when you go to browse the web nothing works because the computer your on has its DNS set to the server that's rebooting so the DNS is offline and that make sense. How is this computer getting its IP address? Is it static or DHCP assigned??

4. What Make & Model is your router? Are you using the built-in switch of the router or do you have a separate switch that everything is plugged into?? You should really have a separate Gigabit switch plugged into one of the lan ports of the router and then plug all your stuff into the separate Gigabit switch, This is the recommended way of doing things.

5. You say Plex Media Server keeps crashing but you don't say what version of Plex your using? Are you a Plexpass user that is using one of the beta builds or is this a stable public build?? What I can tell you here is there has been tons of posts in the Plex beta forums about Plex Media Server crashing on some systems including WSE2011 & Server 2012 and that some have reported just by disabling UPnP in Plex Media Server has fixed the crashing for some and others have disabled automatic Library update and that has fixed the crashing for others, Give that a try and see if it helps but I would get your server stable first otherwise you could be chasing a mouse.

Edited by Mr Fixit

After you answer these questions I may be able to help you further but here are some things to do in order to get you on the right track.

1st. assign your server a static ip address, I like to do this threw the router using static DHCP but you could just do it at the NIC on the server.

2nd. go into your router and set the DNS address that the DHCP assigns to your clients, If your using a Domain controller on your network such as WSE2011 then set the first DNS ip of the server and a second ip of any DNS server you want to use, You can usually just set this to the router ip address and you will be fine. "This will fix your number 4 trouble because now when your server is down it will still have DNS.

Uh, guys, he posted the question in the Windows Server 2012 Essentials section, so I assume that's what he's running.

Pancakes, it looks to me like you're running into the issue of trying to use a Domain Controller in a non DC way. WSE2012 is intended, one might say even has, to be run as a Domain Controller. It is going to change the IP on your client computers because that's what a DC does -- all client computers should be using the DC as their DNS and DHCP.

A number of people have posted questions about this, frustrated that they can't get WSE2012 to behave like WHS2011. It's not intended to behave like WHS2011. I recommend you either go 'all in' and adopt the MS Domain philosophy with WSE2012, or revert back to WHS2011. IMHO, this 'half-way' method of trying to cripple WSE2012 is just asking for problems, which you're experiencing full force.

ikon,
Ya I saw that after I posted the question B) O well that's what happens when I post before coffee :rolleyes: 

Have you tried disabling the DNS service on your server? I presume you are using Server 2012 ? or a variant there of ?

Are you using a domain? Do you have a static IP set up for the server and have your router allocating DHCP or is the server doing that too?

Sounds like your server is getting a new IP from somewhere and that's why Plex stops.

I have not, I thought it might screw up the "Domain" part of the server, I'll give it a try and see what happens though

And yep everything except wireless has static IP's, the server still has the same IP because my bookmark to the torrent client has never had an issue

1) Can't really help with why Plex is falling over as I don't use it. I'd completely uninstall it, hack out any registry entries for it, hunt down and delete any hidden files related to it and then do a clean reinstall.

2) How are you killing the process? Just by the normal task manager? A number of processes are locked open in kernel mode and then unfortunately they are not your processes and even admin does not have permissions to kill them. You might try PSKILL (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896683.aspx) which is better at force killing processes.

3) If you can force kill the process by this or any other means then you won't need to reboot.

4) Assuming that you are running a domain then it is essential that the client PCs point to the server for DNS, therefore not being able to browse the web when the server (and hence DNS) is offline is normal.

John 

1. I fear I may have to try that, It used to run fine in Windows 7, so once I get some more RAM I might just stick it in a VM. That would solve re-booting too

2. Task manager and I tried in command prompt

3. This is the pain in the ass, If it is requiring rebooting then I need to find an alternative

4. I used the "skipdomainjoin" reg key for my PC's, I did not want a domain but I still wanted to be able to do everything else. So far it has worked 100% apart from these domain problems.

Pancakes,

1. We can only try and help you with more info, as Renny asked what version of server are you using? It sounds to me like WSE2011 but I don't want to guess here and give you the wrong advice.

2. Did you assign the server a static ip address & set the DNS of the server to itself if this is a domain controller? "This needs to be done no matter what version of server your using"

3. You say when you go to browse the web nothing works because the computer your on has its DNS set to the server that's rebooting so the DNS is offline and that make sense. How is this computer getting its IP address? Is it static or DHCP assigned??

4. What Make & Model is your router? Are you using the built-in switch of the router or do you have a separate switch that everything is plugged into?? You should really have a separate Gigabit switch plugged into one of the lan ports of the router and then plug all your stuff into the separate Gigabit switch, This is the recommended way of doing things.

5. You say Plex Media Server keeps crashing but you don't say what version of Plex your using? Are you a Plexpass user that is using one of the beta builds or is this a stable public build?? What I can tell you here is there has been tons of posts in the Plex beta forums about Plex Media Server crashing on some systems including WSE2011 & Server 2012 and that some have reported just by disabling UPnP in Plex Media Server has fixed the crashing for some and others have disabled automatic Library update and that has fixed the crashing for others, Give that a try and see if it helps but I would get your server stable first otherwise you could be chasing a mouse.

1, WS2012E

2, 3. Router has static IP, laptop is DHCP, desktop is static and has same problem

4. Yes I have a separate switch, but this problem doesnt really have anything to do with a switch, a switch cant change DNS in windows

After you answer these questions I may be able to help you further but here are some things to do in order to get you on the right track.

1st. assign your server a static ip address, I like to do this threw the router using static DHCP but you could just do it at the NIC on the server.

2nd. go into your router and set the DNS address that the DHCP assigns to your clients, If your using a Domain controller on your network such as WSE2011 then set the first DNS ip of the server and a second ip of any DNS server you want to use, You can usually just set this to the router ip address and you will be fine. "This will fix your number 4 trouble because now when your server is down it will still have DNS.

The DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on the server, but the PC's still try and use the server

Uh, guys, he posted the question in the Windows Server 2012 Essentials section, so I assume that's what he's running.

Yep :P

Pancakes, it looks to me like you're running into the issue of trying to use a Domain Controller in a non DC way. WSE2012 is intended, one might say even has, to be run as a Domain Controller. It is going to change the IP on your client computers because that's what a DC does -- all client computers should be using the DC as their DNS and DHCP.

A number of people have posted questions about this, frustrated that they can't get WSE2012 to behave like WHS2011. It's not intended to behave like WHS2011. I recommend you either go 'all in' and adopt the MS Domain philosophy with WSE2012, or revert back to WHS2011. IMHO, this 'half-way' method of trying to cripple WSE2012 is just asking for problems, which you're experiencing full force.

I am using no domain, so that does make sense. The problem is that a domain doesn't really work for how I use these PC's