RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wwindowwss

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

DiegoPe

The tray from Amazon is an interesting idea.

There is still the question around the speed of the SATA port for the ODD bay.

I would think at best it is SATA II, but it could be SATA I.

Ah yes, that is a good point. The SAS controller should be pretty speedy IMO, but since that's on a different connector altogether, I wonder where the lonesome ODD SATA port is going through... Guess will have to wait til I can actually plug something in there.

ikon

You should be able to find out in the BIOS, even if you have nothing plugged in.

schoondoggy

Ah yes, that is a good point. The SAS controller should be pretty speedy IMO, but since that's on a different connector altogether, I wonder where the lonesome ODD SATA port is going through... Guess will have to wait til I can actually plug something in there.

The drive bays on the Gen 8 are SATA 6Gb on bays 1&2 and SATA 3Gb on bays 3&4. There is no SAS controller.

The C204 chipset only has two SATA 6Gb ports, so all the rest would be 3Gb. For compatibility, sometimes ODD ports are throttled back to 1.5Gb.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52804/Intel-BD82C204-PCH

• Like 1

tazzboo

I can say with out a doubt it works.  I have a Gen 8 running the operation system (Windows 2012 Essentials) on a 2.5 sata laptop drive.

Now what I did was use a standard Sata cable from the mother board up to the Hard drive.  Then I took a old Floppy drive and un-solder the connector from the circuit board.  Then I simply solder a sata to molex connector to the four pin connector.  A little heat shrink and I was finished.  To secure the hard drive I used little sticky foam tabs and placed like six on the case and a few on the top of the drive.  Wedged the drive in and you will see what I mean if you have a gen 8. 

Works like a charm.  Been running Raid 1+0 four 2 tb drives and the 2.5 laptop drive since day one.  Wish I took pics to show you guys. :)

Also if you guys want you can undo the molex to the four hard drives and simply use a Y connector up to the sata drive.  I did that before I found an old floppy drive to take apart.  There is always that option if you like to do it that way.  Just means more wires and mess inside the little case. 

The first memory that I purchased, I believe it was Wintec did not boot at all.  It was (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161555R), they were not compatible.  Returned them and purchased the Kingston ones(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239366) and works like a charm.  16 gig installed.  The 2 gig was utilizing over 85 to 90 percent almost all the time.. 

Enjoy

Edited by tazzboo

ikon

It's funny how often Kingston memory comes up as being compatible with the MicroServers.

schoondoggy

I can say with out a doubt it works.  I have a Gen 8 running the operation system (Windows 2012 Essentials) on a 2.5 sata laptop drive.

Now what I did was use a standard Sata cable from the mother board up to the Hard drive.  Then I took a old Floppy drive and un-solder the connector from the circuit board.  Then I simply solder a sata to molex connector to the four pin connector.  A little heat shrink and I was finished.  To secure the hard drive I used little sticky foam tabs and placed like six on the case and a few on the top of the drive.  Wedged the drive in and you will see what I mean if you have a gen 8. 

Works like a charm.  Been running Raid 1+0 four 2 tb drives and the 2.5 laptop drive since day one.  Wish I took pics to show you guys. :)

Also if you guys want you can undo the molex to the four hard drives and simply use a Y connector up to the sata drive.  I did that before I found an old floppy drive to take apart.  There is always that option if you like to do it that way.  Just means more wires and mess inside the little case. 

The first memory that I purchased, I believe it was Wintec did not boot at all.  It was (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161555R), they were not compatible.  Returned them and purchased the Kingston ones(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239366) and works like a charm.  16 gig installed.  The 2 gig was utilizing over 85 to 90 percent almost all the time.. 

Enjoy

The Wintec are registered memory, that is why they did not work in the MS G8.

ikon

Good catch schoondoggy.

Stevns

Enjoy

What BIOS settings did you change, if any?

Like boot order or disable raid controller at boot?

Cheers  :rolleyes:

tazzboo

All we did is hooked it up.  Then proceeded to install Windows 2012 allowing the server to do the Smart Provision process.  It found the hard drive and the four others, it asked us were we wanted to install the operating system.  We pointed it to the Laptop drive and then it asked how we wanted to set up the raid we said 1+0 and pointed it to the four 2 tb drives.  Really Really simple process.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1