RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

My recommendation; spend the extra money to get your home server done right, no bandaids. Thanks guys for past help with physical cabling/adapters!

SSD for OS (Windows 2012 R2 Standard in my case) thru onboard B120i, RAID0 (@ 6Gbps) & P222 RAID card for additional hotswapable storage, 4 x 4+ TB drives (@ 6Gbps).

Absolutely no problems over the months, remote reboots & all. In my opinion the best way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found that USB/MicroSD is not actually needed for the boot from the SSD installed in the ODD. I made a small (5Gb) partition in the first "normal" HDD for the boot, repeated instructions from the page 3 and that's it.

The only small typo in the instruction, in the phrase "For the next commands where I've denoted *:, replace it with the drive letter of your current Windows boot drive.  So if I'm booted on my MicroServer into the OS I am looking to boot from my MicroSD/USB Key and it's C:, that's what you need to enter here."

The drive that is denoted as * is actually drive where Windows installed rather boot drive (that was MicroSSD in my case). I believe original text is here

MicroSSD as boot device causes Windows Server to consider itself as WTG (Windows-To-Go) system that causes some limitation as absent of Windows Server Backup. Although it is tweakable over registry, in my case the system was not stable: for example, over one week of uptime Disk Management snap-in becomes unaccesible, server stucks on reboots etc, I mentioned my problems here I hope now these problems are gone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update to the last post. After few weeks after removing MicroSD as boot device I can confirm that the system became rocky stable. The MicroSD was the issue for sure. Just in case, if you still want it, avoid SanDisk Ultra 16Gb (that was my type). Who knows, perhaps this particular model not fully compatible.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, first of all, thanks for this great topic. I have 3d printed the adapter for the ssd. Does the standard 7mm ssd fit thru the opening for the odd when mounted on the adapter? I think it must be inserted thru the opening and I am not sure if it will fit into the gap. the adapter itself is 3mm thick but I was not able to measure the metal opening inside so I am not very sure about that. thanks in advance

Hi all, first of all, thanks for this great topic. I have 3d printed the adapter for the ssd. Does the standard 7mm ssd fit thru the opening for the odd when mounted on the adapter? I think it must be inserted thru the opening and I am not sure if it will fit into the gap. the adapter itself is 3mm thick but I was not able to measure the metal opening inside so I am not very sure about that. thanks in advance

Huh,now I can see that the 7mm disk should fit. Maybe a bit grinding needs to be done to the adapter. Nevertheless, great work on the stl 3d file. Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

** awesome tutorial by TheBiggerMan **

Thank you for this! Much appreciated.

Now I can use all 4 HDD bays for data without having to backup everything and switch to RAID mode.  :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to confirm that :

a SDD connected to the SATA5 port, configure in a raid0,

+

4 HDD connected to port 1 to 4 without raid configuration

Boot with open media vault. 

The 4 HDD are seen as standard HDD.

Thanks for informations.

• 2 months later...

Old thread I know, but Ive just put in a SSD on my server and got Server 2012 R2 installed but I've followed the steps for starting the boot process off a Micro SD so can put back in all my storage drives but I get the attached error. Can anyone help ? CheersW2012.JPG