RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

Hi,

My name's Jack, I'm really new to computing and have read all of this thread as well as other threads on the internet to try to get an understanding of how to get the ssd to work in the ODD drive.

I see that there is a long guide to do it, but  this is for Windows only. I would appreciate if someone can please assist me with how I can achieve the following:

[1] I have a 128gb SSD that I will tape down into the ODD bay - is this, "Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA" cable the only one that I need? (I am in the UK, so I will need to find an equivalent)

I will have 4 normal HDD's in the 4 drive bays.

I want to have the ESXi 6 operating system and O/S files on the SSD drive (boot from this) and then I want to use RAID 1 for both sets of two HDD's in the bays.

[2] What special configurations would I need to make so that I can achieve this scenario? 

[3] I also have downloaded the vSphere 6 Vmware iso image from HP website, onto a bootable USB to install the ESXI from. Is this correct? Are there any other drivers I would need to install manually or is everything included in this ISO?

Thanks!!

Edited by windyboi

Hi,

My name's Jack, I'm really new to computing and have read all of this thread as well as other threads on the internet to try to get an understanding of how to get the ssd to work in the ODD drive.

I see that there is a long guide to do it, but  this is for Windows only. I would appreciate if someone can please assist me with how I can achieve the following:

[1] I have a 128gb SSD that I will tape down into the ODD bay - is this, "Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA" cable the only one that I need? (I am in the UK, so I will need to find an equivalent)

I will have 4 normal HDD's in the 4 drive bays.

I want to have the ESXi 6 operating system and O/S files on the SSD drive (boot from this) and then I want to use RAID 1 for both sets of two HDD's in the bays.

[2] What special configurations would I need to make so that I can achieve this scenario? 

[3] I also have downloaded the vSphere 6 Vmware iso image from HP website, onto a bootable USB to install the ESXI from. Is this correct? Are there any other drivers I would need to install manually or is everything included in this ISO?

Thanks!!

Jack,

I use ESXi 6 on a GEN8 MicroServer and have found the best way to install is to install ESXi onto either a MicroSD card or USB key in one of the internal slots because the MicroServer will happily boot off either and will load ESXi as expected without any messing (Windows loads the boot code from MicroSD but then has to be configured to find the O/S install on the SSD).

There's no real benefit for booting ESXi from SSD... it's a bit faster, but generally my box runs for months of uptime rather than hours so reboot speed is not an issue ;-)

I use an SSD on the optical drive connector and for power, I bought an adapter from Maplin (I'm in the UK too!), but sadly it is now discontinued :-(   

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/power-connector-35-to-sata-a18gg

The B120i is not a "real" RAID controller so regardless of how you configure the BIOS, ESXi will only see 4 drives, so you will not be able to pair them into two RAID1 volumes.

You can use the HP version of ESXi, but you NEED to ensure you downgrade the HPVSA driver (instructions are in this thread if I remember correctly) as otherwise you will suffer appalling I/O speeds.

Any questions, just ask...

Binky

Jack,

I use ESXi 6 on a GEN8 MicroServer and have found the best way to install is to install ESXi onto either a MicroSD card or USB key in one of the internal slots because the MicroServer will happily boot off either and will load ESXi as expected without any messing (Windows loads the boot code from MicroSD but then has to be configured to find the O/S install on the SSD).

There's no real benefit for booting ESXi from SSD... it's a bit faster, but generally my box runs for months of uptime rather than hours so reboot speed is not an issue ;-)

I use an SSD on the optical drive connector and for power, I bought an adapter from Maplin (I'm in the UK too!), but sadly it is now discontinued :-(   

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/power-connector-35-to-sata-a18gg

The B120i is not a "real" RAID controller so regardless of how you configure the BIOS, ESXi will only see 4 drives, so you will not be able to pair them into two RAID1 volumes.

You can use the HP version of ESXi, but you NEED to ensure you downgrade the HPVSA driver (instructions are in this thread if I remember correctly) as otherwise you will suffer appalling I/O speeds.

Any questions, just ask...

Binky

Hey Binky, thanks so much for your reply!

I think I've decided to not use my SSD now, and will use 4 x 1tb disks. It's a shame that it can't do two separate RAID 1 arrays, so I guess I will use RAID 10. I have two identical 1tb WD disks, and then a different 1TB WD disk and different 2TB disk. Will it work or are there going to be some problems due to different disks? Also, in this scenario, if one disk were to go *boom*, is it as simple as inserting a new disk and then the RAID will make everything up to date again ready for a next disk fault?

Looks like this is the thread discussing downgrading HPVSA driver to 0.88, 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9141-low-io-performance-with-esxi-60/page-5

but seems some people still continue with slow speeds and have chosen to go to Hyper-V

What sort of tests could I run once I have setup the server and downgrading to 0.88 to make sure the I/O is running at a correct speed? Are there many advantages to ESXi than Hyper-V?

Thanks!

Edit: Is this the right one adaptor for the SSD? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-0-15m-Power-Female-Adapter/dp/B00HN3NEZU/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41kHnbdYdZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Z88X0216JEKZ2V7KCM7

Edited by windyboi

Hello good evening, I read the entire post and wanted to ask you about installing openSUSE operating system on HP MS G8.

This week sees me to the power cord missing me to install an optical drive HDD and start the installation long way :)

As I said above, I want to install openSUSE on a HDD to work like a personal computer (but controlled remotely). In my case, I would not have any RAID, as the information will be stored is not important (series, movies ...)

Anyone have experience in this operating system in this micro server? I say if hardware supports this.

That configuration should perform the installation of the HDD in the ODD?

PD: I currently have only 4 TB western digital red, and will be incorporating more slowly when you have money to buy them, I want that hard drives appear in the operating system separately.

Greetings to all and thanks for the much information you have in a forum.

Edited by Robertomcat

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a g8, a lindy odd caddy, and a power connector to sata cable. I'm not sure if I've bought the correct caddy as i can't see anywhere to attach the sata power connector...would someone mind letting me know please?

You're missing the adapter that converts to slimline SATA which is needed for your caddy. You'll need something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002O1W6ZKbut make sure it fits. I've not used that adapter. I'm just showing you what you need.

I didn't bother with a caddy. I just put the drive into the space available on the top and shimmed it with some folded up paper. Just use the power adapter you have + a regular SATA data cable.

• Like 1

Hi,

I've just bought a g8, a lindy odd caddy, and a power connector to sata cable. I'm not sure if I've bought the correct caddy as i can't see anywhere to attach the sata power connector...would someone mind letting me know please? 

thanks

I use these two adapters: InLine - Floppy to SATA Power Adaptor - 60mm: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories and Cable SATA3 Recto 50cm Cable Serial ATA

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum but thank you in advance for all the information I've been able to gather as a bystander. Very informative.

I am in the process of piecing together a new HP Proliant Microserver Gen8. Hardware that I've purchased is as follows...
-MicroServer Gen8 Xeon Model (With no ODD)
-16GB of RAM (2 x 8GB) HP Part #669324-B21
-4TB Western Digital Red Pro NAS (x4)
-HP P222 RAID Card (HP Part #631667-B21)
-250GB Crucial MX200 SSD (x1)
-SATA optical drive 'Y' cable assembly (To Connect SSD to SATA) HP Part #683358-001
-WoneNice HDD Caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM (http://amzn.com/B004Y8SGXW)
-ODD Bracket (To secure Enclosure/SSD in ODD Bay) HP Part #532475-001

What I would like to do is connect the SSD to the B120i Onboard RAID, configure the drive as RAID0, & Install Windows 2012 R2. Move Mini SAS Connection to P222 RAID Card to connect existing 4 x front bays (4 x 4TB Drives @ 6Gbps), configure RAID5. A few questions...

1) Anyone forsee any problems with physically connecting/powering the SSD thru existing SATA port with these cables/adapters?
2) Given that the SSD will be the ONLY drive connected thru the onboard B120i I should be able to configure B120i as boot controller, connect the SSD to ODD SATA port, configure the drive in RAID0, install the OS, it should boot the SSD no problem correct? (No MicroSD bootmanager workaround, etc)
3) And final question; The SATA port for ODD is 3Gbps / SATA2 correct? Since I have the B120i Mini SAS port open anyone tried connecting the SSD somehow thru the existing Mini SAS connection? Or put another way, is there any way to get full SATA3 / 6Gbps speeds to the SSD?

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate the input. Hope I purchased everything I need (And simplified someone else's shopping list in the future). Can't wait to get this thing running!

Edited by SneakySoulJAH